Laser stuttering issue

Hi hi, Hope you guys can help me here.
I am trying to engrave a straight line (tryed both X and Y direction) at 20mm/min (also tried at 100mm/min) and during the engraving the laser head stutter and then keeps on going but the home coordinate as been reset to where the stutter happend. In consequence the laser is make an infinite straight line. Some people had the same issue and tried with Vcarve and the problem disappear. Aslo tried at 500mm/min and there was no issue at that speed. I don’t know where could be the issue.
Thank you.

How are you interfacing LightBurn with your laser? I hadn’t heard of Bullbotics but after a quick review I’m still not sure how they’re meant to interface.

Are you generating g-code in LightBurn and then executing this somewhere else?

I would suspect something in the gcode. The buildbotics website says they have a simulator where you can test your code. Have you tried that and see if you can reproduce the problem?
Can you just write simple code to see what happens?

Interesting controller btw. Kinda pricy but being able to run without a pc is great feature.

I am not interfacing light burn with my controller. Just generating gcode and transfer via USB key to the controller.

Not an issue with the code. I checked several times. I am just doing a straight line. Can do more simple than that. I don’t know about the simulator. Got to checked

Have you tried this?

Plug a webcam into a USB port and the Buildbotics Controller becomes a video server. You can now keep an eye on cutting operations while you watch the game in another room.

Not sure if that means you can watch the cutting or not.

Thanks but that’s not my issue

I’d also check and tighten all wiring especially limit switches.

Tried with the buildbotics simulator. No crashes there. Work fine on the simulator.

When I say watch cutting… does it trace the progress of cut on a local website? Like Mach3 shows the cut progress on their interface. Not a video of it.

No computer attached is great but not being able to view the cut progress is a negative.

Does this occur when burning only or also for traversal moves?

Frankly you’re not likely to get the best support on this forum for this since it’s not really a LightBurn issue and isn’t a supported controller. There’s the off chance that someone might be using this controller in the same way but odds are much lower than for something that interfaces directly.

The origin resetting constantly as the laser engraves sounds like such a hardware specific issue. Have you looked at any Buildbotics specific forums?

I assume Vcarve also doesn’t control the laser directly. Can you do a simple gcode comparison between generated code?

Good point. There is a buildbodics forum. If this company wants to grow their business they should answer your questions. Good luck.

I couldn’t help myself and found some video on this controller. It has a feature called stall homing. So instead of a limit switch you just run the axis until it stops and it homes. So apparently the machine is stalling and resetting home each time it stalls. Something a person familiar with the controller would know.

Appear to be a too slow speed for the stepper motor. Min for me is 254mm/min. I was trying running it at 20mm/min

I suspect something wrong with setup in that case. 254 mm/min is extremely high for a minimum speed. There are plenty of times you’d be cutting at slower speeds than this at least with a diode laser.

Could this be a base configuration for minimum speed. Or possibly microstepping is misconfigured?

I contacted the company and they said There is a lower threshold in speed that will act like that. 254mm/min is the lowest it will work properly.

20mm/min is not too slow for a stepper however we don’t know how that crash detection system works.
it may reset based on too slow a speed which you trigged when cutting. I wouldn’t like that and maybe there is a way to disable it. this may be a feature added for low cost machines that skip (cost reduce) limit switches.
knowing a lot about currently available controllers for the DIY market, I’m not that impressed. but it appears to be designed for the low end DIY users. again good luck and have fun

Which company told you this? Buildbotics? Or the stepper motor company?

Is this the value that they specified as the lower limit? Or you’re inferring this? This seems like a fatal flaw if true and have a hard time accepting this.

The cnc company: onefinitycnc
That’s what they said