Laser working but not engraving

(V Kal) #1

HI, I am new to this CNC Laser world and dont mean to bother you folks with a repeated Q.
My machine works fine on any other software, but with LB, it only works but does not burn -

1. I have adjusted the power in “Cut” menu
  2. I have increased and reduced speed
  3. I have “fired” the laser before starting, nothing works. The other softwares are lousy compared to LB, so I need this work
    (all the above solutions - I read in the other posts on this topic), Please help
    PS My machine is an ebay 3018 with 5.5 W module (what I could afford at this stage.

(Rick James) #2

This does not provide the required information needed to be of help to you. What firmware and controller are you using to drive this setup?

If I assume GRBL, many of these low-cost diode systems come with an older version of GRBL (1.1g or older). If so go with the GRBL-M3 device in LightBurn. Ideally, you would upgrade to GRBL 1.1f and then use just the GRBL device.

If you are using GRBL 1.1f or later, check your setting for $30 and $32 in the console by typing $$ and pressing enter.

$32 should be 1 (enable laser mode)

$30 should be 1000

The $30 value can be set either in your firmware to match LightBurn, or in the LightBurn device settings (S Max) to match your GRBL setting.

(V Kal) #3

Hi Rick, thanks for your response.

1. GRBL is 1.1f
  2. LB is set to GRBL M3 device
  3. $32 =1
  4. $30 = 1000

didnt work on Windows, but worked with a mac… Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

(Rick James) #4

You should set your device to GRBL for GRBL 1.1f (not GRBL-M3) and also make sure ‘S-value max’ is also set to 1000 (the same as your $30).