Laser works better without nozzle

I have a 100w Gweik laser and it is driving me nuts! I never managed to get it quite dialed in but lately, I can cut some random materials if I remove the nozzle and have the tube open. I installed some loc-line to have air assist very close to the material blowing around 15psi.

The laser dot seems to be quite right as it is always in the center of the nozzle. I have checked it by taping underneath it and pulsing and it’s always in the center. So I’m really not sure why this is happening.

By taking off the nozzle I have managed to cut 9mm plywood with both 2.5" and 4" lenses but it’s quite charred. With the nozzle on I can never get through.

Sometimes the nozzle can block the laser from exiting the lens tube - from either the laser beam hitting the edges of the tube before collimating to a point, or the laser can reflect internally and cause some weird issues as well. I’d make sure that the lens location is the correct distance from the focal point of the laser so the nozzle doesn’t impede the laser path.

Have you tried putting a piece of tape directly on the “tube”, without a nozzle and doing a test shot?
I also think your laser beam is being deflected.

Yes, I think you are right, the tube I have is probably intended for a 2" lens so the laser is just bouncing in there with longer ones. I might just order new tubes for each lens.

Yes, it’s dead on center when I do that so it’s just probably that the beam is deflected as the lens is in the bottom of the tube.

But as I said, by removing the nozzle I can get some cutting done but still not as good as hoped. The reason for using a nozzle is mainly to get the airstream right down the kerf right? I have installed a air tube right close to the kerf and it’s blowing into it, a little to the side but I thought that should be fine. Wondering if I can do some more fixes until I get the right tubes.

Try to send a picture of your nozzle, then it will be easier for me to understand.
Your description sounds like you have a different type of nozzle that I have, here there is “only” a relatively large hole at the end of the nozzle.

That’s correct, yes. The tube on my CO2 has two different lens offsets that can be run by flipping the tube over. And for very very short lenses I machined up some spacers to sit under the lens to bring it closer to the nozzle.

The small opening gives two benefits: directing air to the cut, as well as providing less space for soot to get up towards the lens. This is a really good read about nozzle design if you want to dive deeper: the secret to clean laser cutting: Designing a better laser nozzle using 3D-printing – Nervous System blog

1 Like

Of course, this is also possible that it is this type of “extension tube”, I myself have a similar one, but forgot all about it.

For those unfamilure with the ‘tube’ @Colin spoke of, I think he means these…

C-Series-Lens-Tube-2_500x500

You can configure them with different nozzles for cutting or engraving… here is the setup for a 2" lens
lenses-2inch-cut-engrave

Maybe you can figure out how to make this jig fit on your machine to measure your vertical alignment…

mk2 targets and 3mm holder.dxf.txt (68.3 KB)

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Well, this is definitely the tube that is not working with this lens. After trying for some time with the old setup I had the tube was burning hot, probably because the laser was hitting it inside the whole time. Managed to get better results by tinkering with it.
Thinking about buying this kit here and being safe, should be the easiest way :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.