Layer by layer relay control

i have total of 6 relay controls
i use the following with projects -
relay for lights on/off
relay for circulating fan on/off
relay for exhaust fan on/off

i would like to know if there is a way to control relays per layer setting.

i do not want to always have the exhaust fan running if doing small vector/engraving projects but instead turning the exaust fan on when the cutting layer starts only.

James,

Meet another electronics (industrial + consumer) dude. The short answer is no, pending verification by a Lightburn Guru. Those relays are controlled by “M” codes, and layers have nothing to do with the machine operation. They are more a drawing thing. IMHO, not having the ventilation ON for any burn is not a good idea. Notice I said “burn” and not “engrave”? By the way, pretty impressive setup for a DIY machine.

I kinda figured as much.
I submitted a feature request for such idea

I got an Ebay 40W and then built the frame and case with 20x20 extrusion.
I aslo have the bed raise and lower for rotary and thicker wood project.

I use the Grbl Edge version for 6 axis and modified to get 4 additional relays.
I have the same board on my 5 axis cnc machine and the additional relays are a great thing to have.

1 Like

In practicality Lightburn is a 2d laser control program. There are lots of grbl machines and many have non-standard uses. It has a ‘grayscale’ mode, that might bump it to 2.5d :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Lightburn does have the ability to control air assist depending on the controller that’s used. Even with grbl there are air assist code. I don’t think there is any area that you can embed control codes for separate layers. I’m not a developer, but do have a couple years in soft/hardware…

You can use this to enter control codes for start and end…

If you’ve posted it on feature suggestions then it will be read and voted on …

You should post some photos of it, there are lots of diy types here…

:smile_cat:

Power, speed, air assist settings and more are stored in those layers, so I’d wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Since GRBL itself has no specific / generic way to control anything external aside from the air assist (flood coolant) commands, LightBurn doesn’t either.

DIY 40W CO2 build (still in process) - external relay controls
post i made with pics

here is the suggestion i posted in “Feature Suggestion”
see at bottom of layer dialogue where ‘could’ enter “layer start/stop” commands
just like the tabs for start and end g-code commands but these would be for layers, not full job

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.