Layered leatherette problem

Hoping someone can help me out here. Tried everything and no luck. I’m sure its gonna end up being something stupid that I overlooked. I need to engrave some hat patches using black leatherette that when engraved on reveals a copper layer underneath. So in the picture included, basically all the open space (where I have written engraved needs to be lasered so the copper comes through and the black lines and fill parts are not to be engraved so they will remain black. As in the picture of a previous hat patch I have made, for this project I need all the rawhide area engraved around the black lines and fill spots. When I click fill for the blue inner circle it just fills the entire circle with a black circle that is going to be engraved. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks in advance!
IMG_4862

It seems to be a same problem as I have solved here

I also needed here to burn out a color from aluminium surface.

Uploading your lightburn file would help us understand, but without seeing it I think you need to make sure all your fill shapes on the same layer.

I don’t understand the goal. You have “engrave” written on adjacent/touching parts.

Sorry to step in.
Like this:

Yes, with the orange section you have created being the only part that is burned.

Here is the file
The LORDS helpfile2.lbrn2 (72.0 KB)

like this?
The LORDS helpfile_RRU2.lbrn2 (71.6 KB)

Hey @RalphU you left a 0,0 shape.
Not usual in your top work.

Good catch @parsec - I just took the file that the OP posted, and deleted 1 line and changed from line to fill :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing I have learned when doing patches with a color underneath is they vary in power output and speed. For instants, Blue with silver on my 10watt is speed 40 and a power of 12.7, black on silver is speed 40 and power is 10.5. And the distance is a big factor. I went thrue several patches before getting it right. I would take a 3 x2 patch and do one letter, and change it each time until I got it right.Use a large patch where you can do multiple letters of the same and change the setting until you get what you need. By the looks at your patch it is way to hot. Hope this helps.

Thank you @RalphU! Can you tell me what the heck I was doing wrong? Also, I can’t find that part that @parsec is talking about. Lightburn removes it for me when I click preview so should I be ok?

The fill works like a toggle. Notice that all the fill shapes are on the same layer. Your drawing had a line on the L.
If you do CTRL + A and preview, you get an open shapes error, click show me and you’ll see the shape. That happens. :smiley:

Thank you very much!