Lazr_bed: Open Source Motorized Z Bed for Lasers

Hi all!

I’m very excited to announce my latest project, the lazr_bed! It’s a scalable, easily source-able, motorized Z axis for the K40 laser cutter. It can be easily adapted to fit any size laser by design. I made this for the River City Labs Makerspace as their old Z axis stopped working last fall.

I had a blast iterating through my designs to get to this point. Every piece of this bed has had a lot of thought and discussion put into it. It’s currently sitting in the space’s K40 ready to be used.

The repo includes all the required STL files, the fusion360 project file, the complete BOM, and some additional clarifications. Over time I plan to create some detailed assembly instructions, but for now, it’s easily assembled based on the full picture.

It’s licensed GPLv3, so you’re able to fork it and do whatever you want with the files as long as the results are also shared under GPLv3.

If there is any interest, I could put together some kits to sell. This is the first project in a series of projects that I plan on open sourcing and potentially selling products of if there is enough demand, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on it being a community based project, so if you have any questions, concerns, or want to contribute, feel free to submit a PR or issue and we can discuss it.

Thanks for reading!

Link to the lazr_bed Gitlab repo

3 Likes

Im interested in purchasing a kit :slight_smile: As hard for me to source your BOM :slight_smile:

This post is more than 3 years old. Doing a bit of digging, I see that Aaron has not visited this forum since 2019, so you may not get the response you are looking for. Maybe reach out to the MakerSpace he mentions for the build of materials. :slight_smile:

I have a manual Z axis adjustment on my China red and black laser, and I have toyed with the idea of adding a high torque NEMA 17 stepper motor. This post brings back that idea!
Charlie