LB v1.5 beta, Custom GCode device profile for CNC plasma table

LB v1.5 public beta has a new experimental device profile named ‘Custom GCode’. With it, you can define your own gcode for most motion and action patterns such as ‘Tool On’ and ‘Tool Off’, both of which are key to adapting LB to generating gcode for another type of CNC cutting machine such as a plasma table.

Yesterday, with help from LB beta support, I successfully generated LB gcode for my CNC plasma table that cuts without any further or external fixup of the gcode file !! WooHoo !!

The gcode has per-cut torch touchoff (Z zeroing) to accurately set the pierce height and subsequent initial cut height (using a floating head torch mount w probe input), and it supports my THC (can do others also), pierce delay, post cut torch (Z) safe retract, leadins, and leadouts. IT WORKS!

Kudos to the LB team for a job well done with this feature and V1.5 !!

There are some minor bugs to fixup, but none that interfere with use right now.
For those doing plasma table projects - enjoy !

p- simple parts.lbrn2 (6.0 KB)
p- simple parts.gc (8.4 KB)
Custom Gcode for Plasma.lbdev (6.0 KB)

Full disclosure: although this works and is repeatable for likely 99% of shape objects and use cases, there is still some function that I believe is necessary for smooth workflow with plasma process, namely the UI for start point adjustments, cut direction, and toolpath w kerf width preview. Perhaps MillMage, which has a similar Custom GCode device profile, will improve on this UI, and coupled with it’s Tool & Operation and Tool Lib concepts, may be a better LB platform for plasma table process design and toolpath gen. I am working with MillMage as it matures through a limited beta. For now I plan to continue with my LB to svg to SC workflow for most plasma jobs.

3 Likes

Be still my fluttering heart! This is great news.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.