Lead-in trace when coming from home (without lead-in being activated)

Lightburn 1.5.02 (latest as of 2024-03-04)
Windows 10 and 11
Sculpfun S10 “as delivered”.

When cutting traces, I get a sort of “lead-in” when starting the burn from “home” (aka lower left corner), but not when first doing the “Frame” that outlines the area to be cut. The lead-in trace is only done once, on the first pass, all concurrent passes (if any) don’t have it. It is not power dependent and not speed dependent. I have set $120 and $121 to 250 and 1000, no avail. I have played around with the Y-axis belt tension, no change.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Christian.

If you have multiple objects in your workspace, is the laser also on when moving between them?

If so, try entering $32=1 in the Console window to enable “Laser Mode”.

If that shape is supposed to be a circle, then the machine has terrible backlash in the Y axis causing the flat top.

It’s most likely caused by a loose setscrew in a Y axis pulley, but you should go through the entire mechanical checklist:

Some folks have found badly manufactured pulleys, missing setscrews, bent frames preventing solid connections, and so forth. The list is, regrettably, endless.

Be methodical and you’ll find the problem, which will likely be something you absolutely did not expect.

1 Like