Leetro to ruida conversion

Hi,

I am converting an older Hurrican laser to run on a ruida 6445

The leetro controller was just.clumsy as hell but i was able to get the system to home and to cut small files.

After the conversion, I am having all kinds of problems. Firstly, I cant really.get it to home.

I can’t get the software and controller to agree about the size of the bed. My software seems to show the correct bed size, the controller is using insane values for the size of the cutting area. The comtroller thinks the cutting area is 10380x and 10300y

I have a ton of questions/ problems with this setup, any help would be greatly aplreciated. I am not finding anything much online.

Is the Ruida in now and you are having homing problems?

If the Ruida cannot home, your values displayed are usually the max for each axes as it doesn’t know where it is.

Did/do you have the configuration from the original controller?

Many of the settings are set by the vendor, not the Ruida people. Items such as motor steps and so forth will be needed to be set on the new controller.

I assume you used the original limit switches, where is home?

Does both axes move towards the limits when you power it on?

:smile_cat:

Hi! Thank you for the reply!

20h

Is the Ruida in now and you are having homing problems?

Yes. We were able to get it to recognize the y-limit  and it homes in the correct direction now after working on it yesterday 

If the Ruida cannot home, your values displayed are usually the max for each axes as it doesn’t know where it is.

That explains why the controller is showing huge values.

Did/do you have the configuration from the original controller?

I took a screenshot of them,  but I can't find them now.. 🤔😑

Many of the settings are set by the vendor, not the Ruida people. Items such as motor steps and so forth will be needed to be set on the new controller.

I was planning on looking at that once I know the gantry will not crash if i let it try to home.

I assume you used the original limit switches, where is home?

Yes. Home is x-y-

Does both axes move towards the limits when you power it on?

Yes it moves both axis in the correct direction toward home.

If this relates to upper/right or something similar I’m clueless…

Doesn’t really matter, but it helps.

I assume the X axes are set to ‘home’ in the ‘Edit → Machine Setttings → Vendor Settings → X Axis Settings’ ?

The LmtX- should go low when you trigger that sensor with some metallic object. Most have a light of some type in them to indicate they are active. You can see it on the controllers hardware LED’s

Screenshot from 2022-02-08 12-22-35

It should illuminate LED1 on the controller.

You can also see if it’s active in the ‘diagnostic’ panel from the controllers console. In this shot, I’m triggering the Y limit with a pair of needle nose pliers…

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I was able to get the machine to home, and so we have been cutting with it for about a week now.

I am working on setting the z axis up. It wants’ to not move, and often one side comes up while the other stalls. I strongly suspect this is mostly terrible design paired with mediocre execution. I am trying to get the Z to move the table u and down. Not much luck so far. I think I can figure out the limit switch, but mechanically, why is this so godawful?
I would love to hear some suggestions on how to get this z working well. I did all the obvious stuff, checked for mechanical issues, checked belt tightness, verified both motors were working in concert. I will poke at it a bit more but I am contemplating a redesign.

1 Like

Did the previous answer help you get it running? If so state what fixed it, if you don’t mind…

Russ Sadler did a video on autofocus frustration. It isn’t exactly what you are after, but it explains some interesting idiosyncrasies of the how the limit switch/focus works for the z axes…

Might give it a few and see if it answers any of your questions.

going into the vendor settings and checking that the software “switches” were toggled correctly for the limit switches and setting the wiring for x- and y- was what solved the problem. Thanks!

Did you have it wired to the X+ and Y+ inputs? Those are ‘hard limits’… Rarely do you see them used.

Can you mark it ‘solved’ ?.. :slight_smile:

Good luck… Take care

The motors are underpowered for the design. The tensioner arms were designed extremely poorly and flimsily. I made new tensioners and installed them to “pull” the belts tight, instead of “pushing” the belts tight as they were originally configured. The bed also has a large anodized aluminum support bed, under the “knife edge” bed which seems wholly unnecessary. The bottom of the unit could be armored instead of making the motors lift the table. This machine was really poorly designed. Everywhere I look I see cut corners and bad choices.

Sounds like the typical Chinese machine. Sorry…

I would like to mark this solved, I read through the instructions here in the forum and onthe web and nothing related to what I am seeing here. I don’t see how to add a check next to the conversation. the three dots don’t give me that option, and there is no box next to the title bar, where Lightburn indicates it would be.

:white_check_mark: This was the solution

Sorry, I really don’t have an option or I would have suggested it.

We are here to help, if you want some assistance, please ask or indicate what direction you want to go.

Generally these are the generic ‘Chinese Government’ design. I’ve seen the Hurricane, but don’t remember seeing the aluminum support bed.

Do you want to try and continue the rebuild?

Did you think about ‘solving’ this one about the controller conversion and start another thread more specific to your needs…?

I read how to mark this solved, here, on the lightburn forum. The instructions provided do not work, what I see on screen does not show the options the lightburn instructions indicate. I click the three dots, no “solved” check mark shows. I tried to download a new version of the forum, in case that was it, but that does not seem to be the problem. So, afaik, I cannot, using info provided, mark the issue as solved.

I think it’s in the upper right of the reply window…

It is not. I have now spent 45 min on this, trying to find a checkbox

It’s marked… up where you replied to me…

Glass is half full… :crazy_face:

I added the check mark emoji, if that’s what you mean, but that was not what the forum instructions indicated, or how they indicated to mark something as resolved, and reading the forum instructions on how to mark something resolved, did not correspond with anything I am seeing. If that was what how this is supposed to work, then the forum instructions are …

It marks it…

It’s on the reply right before “Sorry, I really don’t have an option or I would have suggested it.”

Yes I’ve seen a few oddities in the documentation…