Lightburn Camera USB

Just confirming that the lightburn camera has to be connected directly to the computer and cannot be plugged into the laser itself to run?

Not without some work and depending on how you communicate with the laser from LightBurn.
I see you have a Laguna EX which uses a Ruida controller. You can connect to that either via USB or Ethernet. I have a similar machine with a Ruida controller and I installed a USB hub inside the machine so that the controller and camera connect to the hub and then the hub is wired into the original USB connector on the side of the machine. That way, when I connect to that port with my PC I get both the Ruida controller and the camera accessible with a single cable. With USB this is currently the only way to do this with a single cable.

However, this is just provided for an example, since you are using Mac OS which is very, very finicky with the Ruida USB connection and we recommend using ethernet instead.

We are, however, soon releasing the “LightBurn Bridge” which is a Rasperry Pi with some custom software running on it that allows you to connect to your Ruida based machine reliably over your WiFi network. At this time we do not have camera support through the Bridge but it will be coming soon. At which point you can just plug the camera into the Pi and it will be available in LightBurn.

We’ll be selling full kits that come with everything you need, but the Pi SD card image will also be available for free, should you want to roll your own.

Do you guys stay awake into the wee hours of the morning just to think of new cool stuff to create?

We’re all robots and left the need for sleep behind when we transferred our consciousnesses into our current hybrid-mechanical forms :wink:

In all seriousness, we are all makers and avid laser users. We get a lot of great ideas from customers, but a ton of features are just stuff we wanted for ourselves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.