Lightburn Deactivated itself

I loaded up Lightburn on my primary PC today and Lightburn comes up with the “Trial” window despite the fact that I previously activated it on this PC back on May 8th. I’ve checked Cryptlex, there are 0/10 deactivations so far so I know none of them have been used.

This machine should be showing as activated, what in the world deactivated this? I should not have to waste an activation to get this going again.

I’ve verified that the PC attached to the laser in the Workshop remains unaffected and is still registered.

If it shows 0/10 activations, then you are not really wasting and activation are you if you activate it. It would then be 1/10, which is what it should be, is that not correct?

You’re missing the point. The point is that it WAS activated the other day, and then I load it up and it’s NOT activated anymore. It’s back in “Would you like to start a trial” mode, even though it shows in Cryptlex that I’ve activated this machine and the workshop PC and I have never deactivated any of them at all.

So it sounds like there’s a Lightburn bug that deactivates the registration.

1 Like

Haha, several times :stuck_out_tongue:

You will not “waste” an activation. We can always adjust your activations for you if a computer dies or something weird happens.

With that said, please take a deep breath, and let us help you.

• What version of LightBurn are you running on each computer?
  • Have you updated any of them recently?
  • Have you made any changes to the hardware of any computer, installed Windows updates, or anything else that you can think of that may be relevant to the sorts of things I have just described?

It’s next to impossible to get a decent “unique fingerprint” from a computer these days that can’t be defeated in some way, so the license system takes a bunch of different metrics and mixes them together, including the computer name, the OS, the MAC address, and a bunch of other secret sauce.

I’ve seen, on rare occasions, Windows Update change enough stuff to cause the fingerprint to be different enough that the ‘fuzzy match’ code decides that it’s a new install, so this is likely what’s happened. If you send an email to support at lightburnsoftware with your license key, we can increase the matching tolerance which should help keep this from happening again, and can also make sure that if the system thinks you have a “new machine”, we remove the older registration so it doesn’t cost you an install.

1 Like

To answer raykholo’s questions…

1. Currently running 0.9.02 on both PCs

2. Off the top of my head, I don’t recall, but yeah, it’s probably done one of those sneaky stealth Windows 10 updates.

3. Nope, as far as I recall, the hardware is exactly the same, and referring to #2 for Windows updates. Oddly the Workshop one is still activated, but if becomes deactivated soon, then it would definitely be Windows update related then.

To answer Lightburn’s question…

Will do, I’ll shoot over the details shortly. This is so strange, but worth looking into just it case it’s a bug and not the fuzzy match. But you’re right, it’s probably some annoying automatic windows update that broke it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.