Lightburn does not start at Origin

sorry, forgot to attach the screen shot.

All program files go here:
C:\Program Files\LightBurn

All user prefs files go here:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\LightBurn

There are entries in the registry as well.

Having said that, all configuration data is stored in the Prefs folder.

Can you point to those? I’ve not seen anything that reminds me of this.

In the screenshot you’re set to “User origin”. Are you very familiar with how User origin works? What setting are you using on the new setup? Misuse of this mode could cause some of the issues that you described.

Those file locations are consistent with what I deleted, I think. I will in any case repeat the uninstall/manual file delete process being sure to delete the prefs folder and see what happens.

Fundamentally the green square, as represented in the UI, is the user origin of the burn. To be clear, I homed the device, shut the SW down, and restarted to insure that the red square (home) was properly calibrated prior to pressing the frame button. After pressing the frame button, the outline always starts at the red square (home) regardless of where I move the image an thus the location of the green square (user origin, always kept in the lower left). (BTW the image is a guy who is a now 80 year old Korean/Vietnam era pilot that has received numerous Distinguished Flying Crosses, one present by The President himself, as well as airman’s medals, bronze stars, etc. I am making a little tribute to him.). Could I somehow be using the user origin incorrectly?

I will look for the posts tomorrow and provide links to same.

If you configured user origin to the same location as Home then this is the behavior you’d expect. User origin is basically a repositionable origin. So the laser will first move to the user origin specified. Then from that point all things in the positive X and Y directions from the green square are burned.

I read something recently where there aren’t that many Korean war vets left due to age. Nice to see someone getting this recognition.

Once again, I specifically did not configure user origin as home. Regardless of where I put the user origin, the frame for the scan always starts at home. So the functionality is definitely not expected.

If you push “go to origin” would it go to the origin that you set or go to home location?

When you get a chance, can you use “Save gcode” and save the gcode for a job that does this? Please use a .txt extension when you save the gcode and that will allow you to upload the file here.

I’ll have to check that tomorrow. I’ll also save the code and send it.

Thanks again for trying to work through this. Although my problem was solved with the new PC, I do believe that we will help others!

First, here is someone else with the same issue: Has anyone noticed problems with "User Origin" setting in the latest version of LB? - #15 by renegade1966

Second, guess what? It is now suddenly doing it with the new PC! I believe the PC timed out last night while connected to the laser. When I went to use it today, initially it seemed to have issues communicating with the laser, so I rebooted everything. Homed the laser, closed Lightburn, reopened, and loaded the same file I was using the day before. When I go to the user origin, set in the lower left of the image, it goes to the home position, but trips the left limit switch. I can manually move the head and select Start From Current position, and it will start from that spot using the lower left origin. It appears that the co-ordinates of the origin of the image are incorrect. The gcode txt file is 18.2 mb. How shall I get that to you?

Regarding the gcode, the images were causing the size to bloat. This is the gcode for a simple square. All of the previously described issues apply.

Test Square.txt (286 Bytes)

Well, I can see explicitly in g-code that the laser is being sent to 0,0. So LightBurn believes your user origin is set to 0,0.

; Cut @ 100 mm/sec, 20% power
M8
G0 X0Y0 ← this is the command to send to 0,0 position

Can you document your steps for how you are setting up your user origin? Might be something in the way you are doing this.

Some additional questions:

1. Can you confirm whether or not you connect any other software to the machine?
  2. What happens if you push “Go to origin” in Laser window?

I reviewed that other Topic but got the impression the root cause was something else entirely but not sure since it wasn’t explored.

In this case, I homed the machine as described before. Then I drew a square in the middle of the work area. I selected user origin, with the green box in the lower left corner.

I don’t have any other SW connected to the laser.

The interesting thing is that regardless of what I draw or image that I insert, apparently the origin is being set to 0,0.

I believe origin after homing will always be 0,0. Does this mean that you’re not actually setting an origin?

Try this.

1. Home
  2. Move the machine to where you want your origin to be using jogging controls in Move window
  3. In Move window, push “Set Origin”
  4. Run your job.

The laser should have first moved to where you established your origin, then burned the job relative to job origin in green.

To set the User Origin, you jog the laser to a location on the bed of the laser and press the ‘Set Origin’ button. Have you done this? (This is described in the LightBurn documentation here: Coordinates & Origin - LightBurn Software Documentation )

That did the trick. However, this is interesting. After installing when I first used the SW, if I moved the image, the origin would move with it in a dynamic fashion. Not a static origin as it now is. Since we have defined the workspace when we set the laser variables, does it not make sense to have a dynamic origin?

How is what you’re describing different than Current Position then?

The point of User Origin is to have a variable but enduring origin location. The workflow makes more sense for laser with offline controllers where you can set origin easily.

With Current Position the laser starts it path from whatever location it sits.

With the static origin, it always starts from a predetermined position set by the user regardless of its current position.

With “Dynamic Origin”. (My verbiage). It would start at the user origin location (Green Box in the lower left corner of a rectangle for example) as defined within the workspace of the particular laser. Example: A 10 x 20 rectangle sits in a 400 x 400 laser workspace as defined when the laser is imported into LightBurn. Its lower left corner is where we have selected the user origin to be and sits at the 100, 100 X,Y location within the workspace. The laser would go to that location, 100,100, and start etching/cutting there. Now we move the rectangle within the workspace such that the lower left user origin is located at 200,200. The laser would go to that position to start. In this way the material being etched or cut can remain in the same location, while the laser is moved to its starting position by software. I would imagine this useful when framing a job for instance. The user would still define at what location the origin is on the square, lower left, center, upper right, etc. Whatever location that is within the workspace is where the laser would start.

Maybe I’m missing it but I think you are describing how it actually does work today.

For example:

1. Set origin at 100,100
  2. Burn image with lower left position at 100,100 with job origin at bottom left
  3. Burn should start at 100,100 in absolute space
  4. Burn image with lower left position at 200,200 with job origin at bottom left
  5. Burn should still start at 100,100 in absolute space

In fact, you should be able to have an image anywhere on the workspace and the burn will start at 100,100 in absolute space.

Have I possibly misinterpreted what you’re saying?

Sorry,

They made me wait a few hours to respond.

In your example if we were using Dynamic User Origin:

1. No need to set origin. It is defined by the drawing location within the workspace.
  2. Burn image with lower left position at 100,100 with job origin at bottom left
  3. Burn should start at 100,100 in absolute space
  4. Burn image with lower left position at 200,200 with job origin at bottom left
  5. Burn should start at 200,200 in absolute space

Oh, I misunderstood steps 4 and 5 in your update.

If I’m understanding you correctly I think, then, that you’re describing how Absolute Coords works. Basically, it burns to where the object is located in the workspace.

But perhaps I’ve missed a nuance of what you’re looking for.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.