Lightburn doesn't see SD Card

For some reason Lightburn doesn’t see my SD Cards even though it is perfectly visible and accessible under my OS, which is Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa on a Dell Inspiron 15.

This means I can’t send gcode directly to a regular SD or TF card. I have to save it to the hard drive and then move it to the card outside of Lightburn using Finder or the command line.

I looked on this forum but couldn’t find any previous reports of this issue. Perhaps I wasn’t using the correct search terms. Any help appreciated.

I’m trying to understand how LightBurn would even be able to differentiate that you’re dealing with an SD Card.

Are you mounting the card? How is it being accessed?

Can you provide screenshots for what happens when you try to locate the SD Card in LightBurn and also for showing that it’s otherwise accessible?

1 Like

On the hardware side, an SD card or Micro SD (TF Card) can be inserted either using a USB adapter or into a dedicated slot. My machine has a slot for a Micro SD card and I also use USB adapters.

Under Linux an SD or Micro SD card gets mounted under /dev/sdb#, where # could be 1,2,3… under its own directory.

Once mounted, the directory can be accessed just like any other directory or any other drive that’s mounted.

This works fine, except Lightburn doesn’t seem to recognize any mounted drives besides the primary one.

This would be the device identifier. But I assume you’re mounting to a particular location in the filesystem. From memory, Ubuntu based distros use directories under /media for removable media.

This is one of the things unclear for me. How would LightBurn differentiate one folder from another?

Can you show the issue you’re seeing in LightBurn?

Also, can you run this command in a Terminal session in Linux and then return all output?

mount

/media/… is correct for the default directory. However, it simply isn’t there when trying to navigate to it from File → (any command) in LightBurn.

There is nothing to see in a screenshot except the main drive, because the SD card doesn’t show up.
Also, I would prefer not taking screenshots that contain my username for security and the user directory is shown in the LighBurn’s file browser.

The ‘mount’ command results in this output for the mounted media under the default location:
“/dev/sdb1 on /media/user1/6462-3432 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)”

It doesn’t make sense to me either, and that’s why I’m posting it here.

Probably be smart to format it with some kind of name that you can recognize. This looks like it hasn’t been formatted to a fat file system with that name…

If you can navigate to the sd card via your file browser, Lightburn will be able to see it…

It is owned by root (user 0, group 0), you should still see it.

Agree with @berainlb that it couldn’t know one file system device from the other, because it doesn’t need to…

:smile_cat:

The micro SD’s I use are all completely accessible and visible from the file explorer and other software, just not LightBurn. They’re not formatted as anything special – just FAT. Lightburn doesn’t see any of them.
I tried mounting an external hard drive and LightBurn had no problem accessing them.

Remove the portions of the screenshot that you don’t want shared. Right now there’s no context as to what exactly you’re seeing.

Can you run this in Terminal and return output?

ls -la /media/user1/*

I’ve given context. The ‘ls’ command lists the contents of the SD card as expected.

SOLVED. I decided to start removing software that I had installed and sure enough, it worked after taking down the first one, which was an old GIT project I had used on Rasp Pi’s.

Thanks @beriiberii and @jkwilborn for your input.

Glad you’re up and running.

What’s the function of the project? Curious how it would affect SD card usage.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.