Hi everyone, new here and just got an Orture laser off of amazon so I can do some engraving for my wood products. this one had 1900 reviews at 4.5 stars on amazon so im assuming its a good enough product.
Everything is set up to factory settings and I’ve spent a full day testing out font, sizes, speed, etc…and I cannot get a good burn. does anyone have any suggestions that can help me? attached below are my burns so you can see.
I suspect the pulley on the stepper shaft of X-axis motor has come loose. Tighten grub screws so it’s secured on the flat portion of the shaft.
So I retightened the pulleys and the screws and it is still off. my brother in law told me to turn off the bi-directional and over scanning which helped a little but still not producing accurate results.
I looked at my preview and I think I found the issue. I think the laser is starting the burn early on each letter. I attached the preview and the actual results so you can see what I think is happening.
I know that I didn’t upload ones with just lines. but the line + fill in the first picture show that it still isn’t working.
when I do just the “fill” settings I get a decent burn but you can see that the B, T, P, and C letters are not in an ok shape.
thanks for any help
Can you describe exactly how you did this? What was the behavior before and what was the behavior after? Were they loose on the shaft?
These can be tricky because the grub screws need to be aligned to the flat portion of the stepper shaft. Also, check to make sure there aren’t two grub screws stacked on top of one another. If the bottom one is loose there’s no tightening of the top one that will be enough to force close the bottom one.
Make sure belts are properly tensioned. There should be no slack in the belt. Taught, but not stretched.
I don’t see disabling overscanning helping at all. If anything, it can reduce the appearance of some of this but doubt it’s involved right now. Disabling bi-directional could reduce the artifact but is just masking the problem.
Check the gap between the wheels and rails. There should be no play between them. They shouldn’t be overtightened but enough to remove any gap.
You may want to run a few tests.
- Draw a series of even length evenly spaced horizontal lines. Run bi-directional. Run at medium speed, let’s say 2000 mm/min with the appropriate power.
- Do the same thing with vertical lines.
- Draw a perfect circle
- Draw a perfect square - measure the dimensions
The artifacts from these will guide where to look for problems but do a mechanical review first. It’s mostly likely going to be tied back to something mechanical anyway.