Lightburn for Ruida Not Enabling and Saving Rotary Settings

Hi all,
I recently received my Thunder Bolt 30W RF CO2 Laser. As instructed by Thunder Laser, I purchased the upgrade for the Ruida Controller on my machine. I am running into a wall with the Rotary Settings not saving. I have been using Lightburn for my Xtool D1 Pro and RA2 Rotary for almost two years with no issues in these settings. I have the program now defaulted to my Thunder Bolt, so the Xtool is no longer in the picture.

Rotary Setup:
Roller - Rotoboss Jr
Enable Rotary - Set to On
Rotary Axis: Y
Steps Per Rotation: 4400 (This is specific for the Jr)
Roller Diameter: 25.4mm (This is specific for the Jr)
Object Diameter: 318mm Circumference
Object Diameter: 101.223mm

I hit OK, and the settings should save. I go right back in, and it doesn’t remember anything I just entered, including the rotary enable.

Are you connected to the Ruida when you attempt this?

No, I have been using the usb thumb drive option to transfer files. I just received the bolt three weeks ago, and haven’t tried to connect it directly yet. I’ve never had this issue with Lightburn in my two years using it. This a recent development for me.

Just to clarify, I’ve been using it to engrave flat objects since I unboxed, with no issues with it keeping my file settings. It appears to be a Rotary Settings issue.

I just tried it on my system with the laser offline. Same results as you.

Then I noticed in the rotary dialog box, at the bottom there is an error message that says “settings could not be read from controller”. i see that same error in your image that you uploaded.

It appears that you must be connected to the laser for this function to work.

1 Like

Rotary function for DSP controllers works differently than with g-code systems. With g-code systems, LightBurn carries the brunt of modifying the instructions to accommodate the laser. With DSP systems, the rotary settings are carried on the controller. You must enable/disable rotary on the controller for things to function as you’d expect.

1 Like

Hi Tim! :wave:t2:
Thank you so much for trying to repeat my issue. I will try to connect it, and see if that fixes it. I can run flat engrave/cut without any issues. Just the rotary issue so far. I was hoping to not need to be hardwired to it, like the xtool. I will let you know what happens.

Hi Berainlb,
The issue I am encountering is preventing me from enabling the rotary, and keeping that input active. I’m going to try connecting physically to the machine, and see if that solves it. I was hoping to remain wireless, but will adapt if necessary. Thanks for the breakdown, it’s appreciated.

Hello, It’s been a while since we started this conversation, but I wanted to update. Connecting the machine to my Internet router via Ethernet, and to my computer via usb solved the communication. Unfortunately, the default steps per rotation etc, changed, in addition to the assigned rotary axis. I had to run a lot of tests to determine the new Steps for my 40oz tumblers. I would not have started down the physical connection path without your response, and @berainlb . I appreciate you both! Now to find the time to make All The Things! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Glad you were able to get it working. Keep experimenting, it’s how we learn.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.