Lightburn freezing and crashing multiple times a day on my brand new M2 Mac Mini 2023 running Sonoma

Over the past 2 weeks lightburn freezes up and crashes or I have to force quit multiple times a day. And then after I force quit it, it freezes again upon reopening. The only thing I can do to get it going again is to restart my computer. Then it will load and work for a couple of hours before it freezes up all over again.

I’ve updated LB to the latest version and my Mac’s software is all up to date. I’ve only had this Mac Mini for less than a month.

I’m running LightBurn 14.4 on a Mac Studio (M2 Ultra). Never had an issue with LightBurn.

Are you running anti-virus or some other app or extensions in the background?

never had an issue like that on a MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max.

Are you using a USB connection to your Laser? Is there potentially also a USB hub in between the Mac and the Laser?

Both can cause major problems. In many cases goint to a different USB cable and/or a different hub will help.

Up until a month ago I was using my old iMac 2017 and never had this issue. My brand new M2 Mac Mini that I’ve been using for the past month was fine up until the past 2 weeks. I’m not running any extensions in the background, and I’m not running any apps or software that’s new or different other than what I’ve always run (on both the old Mac and the new Mac). But that was a good thing I needed to check. Thanks!

I never had this issue on my old iMac 2017 that I was running up until a month ago when I bought my new M2 Mac Mini. And my Mac Mini was working just fine until a couple of weeks ago. I am running on the USB cable, AND yes, I am using a USB hub because I am running 2 lasers and a myriad of other hardware off this computer. I’ve had the USB hub since Day 1 of using this new Mac Mini. But that’s definitely something I should look into. Next time it happens I’ll try unplugging it from one hub to another and other ways to see if it is a USB cable issue. Thanks for that!

FWIW, I run my Ortur Laser Master 3 using a MacBook Air.
It’s connected using USB, to a hub, then a USB to USB-C adapter - no problems ever.

UPDATE: The best and quickest fix I found without having to shut down my computer and restart everything – I unplug the USB out of my laser and plug it right back in. The spinning beachball of death goes away, and all is right with the world again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.