LightBurn not connecting to engraver

Just bought Reality Falcon 10w engraver and am trying to connect via USB C to my laptop. When plugged in, the COM1 does not appear as an option to select and in the commands section of light burn is says “Waiting to connect…”

Is this an issue with the cable, engraver, laptop, light burn??? Help pls!

You have a M1 mac?
If so suggest amazon in a very cheap, dumb usbc/Usb2.0 hub (black connectors on usba)

Mac is very very picky with USBc ports that are not wired in 3.0 or 3.1 spec (which is the case of most laser engravers)

1 Like

Have been using the charging cord from my laptop charger so would assume its compatible with my Mac… I have an Apple M2 chip.

Charging cord will not fix this. @gilaraujo is pointing you in the right direction.

1 Like

I’ve tried using a USB-C>USB cord into an adapter and then into the laptop… still no luck. Might this mean it is an issue with the USB-C port on the engraver machine itself?

Not necessarily
This has to do with Apple security implementations of Apple silicon
What happens is the computer detects a USB-c port connected and expects a usb 3.0 handshake.
Most, if not all laser engravers use USBc only as a cosmetic and there is no wiring as such as 3.0 (in fact reversing the port direction in some will make them stop working)

so what you need is something in between that force us to downgrade handshake to 2.0 - which is way less tricky to do
You can triple check by typing in your terminal
ioreg -p IOUSB

Post full output here

What i mean by a DUMB hb is something like this
Which i had good success with

But if you are going to block 1 usb port, and considering you might want to add a camera and this and that may as well get a hub

Cheap, dumb. Less features the best :smiley:

2 Likes

This was super helpful thank you!!

I’ve not tried a different cable into a hub like that and then into my laptop… still no luck. Won’t recognise it has something plugged in.

I’ve also just tried to run the engraver using an SD card and its moving but not engraving anything… ive checked and made sure I’ve had the right settings and all and the preview looks good, but it just won’t work! Even bumped it to 100% power and still not even making a scratch… I’ve been watching so many videos and for them its so easy but just cant get mine to work.

If it’s moving but not engraving it sounds like an issue with the machine, I would reach out to Creality for support.

1 Like