LightBurn - Raspberry Pi Trick for a Wireless Laser Cutter

Pretty cool! It’s been a great number of years since I did any USB over IP work and a quick google search showed that Linux now has usbip already in repositories. I found this video on setting it up.

I’ve got some cork coasters to make for a friend today so I’ll give this a shot and see how it goes. I should be able to setup the small Ortur LM1 and an rPi on a small TV tray instead of the larger folding table I’ve used to hold the laser engraver and laptop(Linux on Macbook Air).

This HowTo also talks about another option called FlexiHub and compares with usbip after each installation process is detailed. Great to see many options out there now.

I have usbip working. I had one glitch when I connected on one router in the house and went to the back yard and there was not a seamless handover so Lightburn and my ssh she’ll froze until I connected to the nearest router. Not a big deal.

I will be running a dozen coasters with the laptop just inside the back door. Very compact setup now. I was able to complete a few hours of engraving over 2 days without problems.