LightBurn running on Raspberry Pi - Now working

Okay. Thanks for confirming. I’ll take a closer look today and circle back.

I think I’ve resolved the problem. When I initially uploaded the library archives I had to repackage the libraries to split them into 2 files to get under the maximum file size limit on the forum. When I did that it appears I broke the symbolic links.

I’ve updated the post with corrected archives. Please test and confirm whether or not it’s working correctly.

@berainlb Well, I think we are closer! No more libzstd.so.1 error… but several other libraries seem to be missing. See output below… and note: though you updated Post 8 to include a .tgz archive, I think it is only .tar. Also, it extracts without relative paths (in other words, all the libraries decompress to the folder the archive is in, rather than with the …/libs64/… pathing you had in the original archives.). I don’t know that it is a problem per se, but it is a difference. It may be that you just need to include the libraries missing as noted from the output:

Dynarec for ARM64, with extension: ASIMD CRC32 PageSize:4096 Running on Cortex-A72 with 4 Cores
Params database has 30 entries
Box64 with Dynarec v0.2.5 12c40a5b built on Oct 25 2023 06:25:21
Counted 27 Env var
BOX64 LIB PATH: ./:lib/:lib64/:x86_64/:bin64/:libs64/:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
BOX64 BIN PATH: ./:bin/:/usr/local/sbin/:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/sbin/:/usr/bin/:/sbin/:/bin/:/usr/local/games/:/usr/games/
Looking for ./LightBurn
Rename process to "LightBurn"
Using native(wrapped) libusb-1.0.so.0
Using emulated libzstd.so.1
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5MultimediaWidgets.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5PrintSupport.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5Widgets.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5Multimedia.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5SerialPort.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5Network.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5Xml.so.5
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
Using native(wrapped) libpthread.so.0
Using emulated /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
Using native(wrapped) libm.so.6
Using emulated /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
Using native(wrapped) libc.so.6
Using native(wrapped) ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
Using native(wrapped) libdl.so.2
Using native(wrapped) libutil.so.1
Using native(wrapped) librt.so.1
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libQt5OpenGL.so.5
Using native(wrapped) libGL.so.1
Using emulated libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
Using native(wrapped) libpulse.so.0
Using native(wrapped) libglib-2.0.so.0
Using native(wrapped) libz.so.1
Using native(wrapped) libgssapi_krb5.so.2
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libicui18n.so.56
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libicuuc.so.56
Using emulated /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/lib/libicudata.so.56
Using native(wrapped) libgthread-2.0.so.0
Error loading needed lib libpulsecommon-13.99.so
Error loading one of needed lib
Error initializing needed lib libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
Error initializing needed lib libQt5Multimedia.so.5
Error: Symbol pa_log_level_meta not found, cannot apply R_X86_64_JUMP_SLOT @0x104de4fb8 (0x1120) in libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
Error: relocating Plt symbols in elf libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
Error initializing needed lib libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
Error initializing needed lib libQt5MultimediaWidgets.so.5
Error: loading needed libs in elf /home/jwebster/Downloads/LightBurn/LightBurn

— UPDATE, and apologies for this addendum, LB forum won’t let me post more than 3 replies at the moment —
@berainlb Update: I had deleted the original ./LightBurn/ folder to try your latest lib archive – which didn’t work as noted above because I only extracted the libs in Post 8 to the root of the ./LightBurn/ folder. I extracted the other two lib archives from the original posts (e.g., 1of2 and 2of2, including the relative paths)… and IT WORKED. LB is now running (at least on the Sep 22 2022 version of RaspiOS). I will now try to go back to my original distro install and see if it works. Will report back shortly…

(You may just have to clean up the lib archives and edit the posts so others can follow along.)

I updated post 32, not 8. Can you review that one?

I updated your user so you should now be able to reply.

@berainlb Excellent work! Following post 32, I now have LB running on Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) with kernel version 5.15.84-v8+… which started as RaspiOS LITE and manual install of XFCE desktop on top. Though not the latest version of RaspiOS, is sufficiently convoluted to imply this method may work on multiple distro configurations. Good stuff, and hoping others chime in to confirm success with the distro configs.

Great to hear. Let me know if you can sort out the camera issue. That’s the final wrinkle as far as I can see.

Let me get this straight, you are running x86 Lightburn(Linux version) on a 1MB Raspberry Pi 3B+ which has a native ARM instruction base through a combination of emulation and dynamic compiling optimizations(Box64) and it runs well?

Any chance you can post up a video of this running LightBurn on something like a small Aztec Calendar?

I’ve run LightBurn on the x86 based AtomicPi which is a lowend Celeron CPU with 2GB of RAM and it ran well but I would not have thought 1GB would be possible.

Technically it’s x64 but yes.

This is debatable but all regular tasks work surprisingly well. I haven’t attempted pressing the workload like with a large bitmap but basic design and burning tasks worked well.

Running any additional software on the Pi is painful. Basic web browsing is a chore. I don’t think it would take anything like OBS particularly well.

I’ll try running it through a remote X11 session on Windows WSL2 and see if I can capture that way.

2 Likes

hehe, wouldn’t that be AMD64? LOL I get a chuckle out of the fact that AMD beat Intel to 64bit such that Intel had to adopt AMDs instruction set.

This is still pretty significant since it means with something like NFS or SMB loaded on the rPi to share files easily people can work on design in the office/house and then walk to the shop/garage without having to do any file shuffling to get the design on LightBurn at the machine. There is still an issue with LightBurns default layouts on small screens like my x86 based tablets(1024x600).

And a 2GB rPi4B+ should show significant improvements in performance.

For video, just a phone capture would be fine if you have a tripod or something so that it could show mouse and keyboard input relative to screen updates.

1 Like

This worked but was annoyingly laggy. I’m on WiFi on both ends of the connection. Clicks had a 1 or 2 second lag.

I did a low-tech camera facing monitor solution that should give you an idea of what this is like. Overall, workable but not ideal especially as a design-time machine. I’d still consider this serviceable as a job-time machine. I’d imagine any faster Pi would work quite well.

This video was made using the SVG file available here:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Aztec_calendar.svg

Here’s the burn that resulted:

Note that the artifacts are from the rendering of the original design. You can see this in Preview. I made no attempt at cleaning up the design.

I uploaded the video file here:

I’ve never used this service so don’t know how well it will work.

1 Like

Yes indeed. For more fun note that Itanium support was recently dropped in Linux… I’m sure the 2 people running that are furious.

@DougL Following @berainlb 's method, I got LB running on a RPi 4 Model B, 2GB. I was previously running LB off of my M1Pro Mac… engraving annodized aluminum with a substantial amount of Offset Fill text and graphics. With the same file, I cannot tell the difference between performance with the M1Pro and LB running through Box64 on the RPi 4. I was as astonished as you are but can’t argue with the results. I would say this method is completely viable and now I don’t have bring my laptop to the workshop just to run LB. Give it a shot…

2 Likes

That worked reasonably well and I saw you’re getting under-voltage conditions by loading up all the CPUs of the rPi3B+ and that can throttle down the CPUs. So putting a heatsink and a better power supply would give better performance as would an rPi4B+.

I would agree that it’s usable as a local job-time interface with minor design adjustments but more design work could be done with an rPi4B+ or even rPi5.
Nice work!

1 Like

hey its @bhimio here I’d just like to say I’ve had a lot of problems trying to get lightburn to conect to my laser. It keeps saying that the port is already being used and and softlocks when i disconect from ttyUSB0 or ttyAMO

What OS are you running and what laser do you have?

@jjwebster, there was a recent post where a user identified issues doing standard Fill. It actually mimics the issues with the Aztec calendar that I initially thought were design issues in post #51 but now think is related to the reported Fill issue.

Can you try Previewing some designs with normal Fill mode to see if you notice any rendering issues? Trying to understand how broadly this issue goes.

running on Debian bullseye using a xtool d1pro

Do you see the device being assigned a port reliably when connecting and disconnecting the laser?

Raspberry Pi OS is currently based on Bullseye so it should behave similarly. However, I have not tested this with a USB attached device. I only did this through IP.

Im using rpi os but not the new bookworm version.
though my linux kernle might be messed up over frequent insecure shutdowns, I’ll try again whith a fresh install of bookworm.

I’d also like to say that it would be nice to incorparate this into pi-apps or pi-kiss, for quicker installation for newbies.