Lightburn Software Update

I see lots of folks posting on here about issues after upgrading to lightburn 1.4.05
Here’s my take on all software updates, not just lightburn.

Seems quite a few users immediately jump on the bandwagon and install the latest version of their software. All software has bugs, when you update to a newer version of a software it may fix some of the existing bugs but there may be new bugs in the latest version. My philosophy has always been if there is a newer version of the software I don’t install it unless there is some new feature that i just cant live without. If you do decide to upgrade always keep a copy of the older version so you can roll back if necessary. This has always worked well for me. Just my two cents worth. :slight_smile:

Those are wise words and a good decision.
I myself have followed the development of LightBurn from its very young days and love the development we have experienced. When it is so easy and quick to roll back an update, there is no problem with updating. That is why I am part of the beta test group where we try to contribute with suggestions and troubleshooting.
But with updates of OS like Linux for example, I feel as you write, never touch a working system. The difference is also 2 minutes for up or downgrading LightBurn or an hour and more for a new OS.

You’re both right. My career was in software and firmware development, and I spent many years running “nothing later than beta” as part of my job. I’ve had my fill of that, even though back then I could even fix the problem myself in many cases. I also remember plenty of times when the new bugs were worse than the old ones, including more than one of those created by … me. (Oops.)

But certainly these days at least on MacOS and Linux it’s easy enough to roll back application software (ie not the OS) that it can be done.

Interesting enough, all Lightburn complaints, including mine for the 05 update, have been unexpected parameter changes, not software bugs. Not sure what causes the changes, but the PREFS file is a quick fix.

I too fit in the Developer / I.T. Support category (25 years), but I do not see the Lightburn software as being a problem child. Just the opposite, I see myself as the problem child by not utilizing the vast resources of the Forum and Documentation, not to mention all those videos out there.

I was also in software support for 33 years. It was my job to test new versions of our enterprise software before it was implemented. And also detail and test new functionality for patches and upgrades. I didn’t write or implement the software just had to make sure it worked.

I’m not allowed to run the train
The whistle I can’t blow…
I’m not allowed to say how far
The railroad cars can go.
I’m not allowed to shoot off steam,
Nor even clang the bell…
But let the damn train jump the track
And see who catches Hell!

Yeah, I know this one well!!!

I was a developer, but had to test my own work. Any idea how wrong that was?

Creator Syndrome 101 :smiley:

I have Ubuntu, with both the beta and release versions on my machine. I can run either, right next to each other…

I’ll be 70 this year … this phrase has been around longer than I…

Step on one bug, then a bunch more come to the funeral.

:smile_cat:

Words to live by. We’re spoilt with instant gratification these days, I don’t deny it’s nice to have shiny things but you have to know your entry point with an update. Are you the type that shrugs at a firmware flash or the type to head to facebook with “it don’t work” (with no details), or maybe you’re like my wife and totally ambivalent to the point where your device is screaming at you to update to operate?

I’m finding these days, I’m a lot more relaxed and “shiny” isn’t so impressive any more. I tend to be an early adopter for my favourites but let other things slide, it also is scaled by reputation and there is a blacklist of stuff I refuse to update any more due to policy or just plain crappy support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.