LightBurn vs Creative Space settings -vs- output on Xtool D1 Pro with IR module

Hello everyone,

I have found lightburn to be superior for my needs to have an object on the tool layer for framing but I am running into an output problem.

I have my Units/Grids set to mm/sec which I believe matches Xtools creative space but the actual product output is horrible different.

In the below photo I used the same speed/power settings to write “Living” on a wallplate.

Am I missing something? I want to use lightburn but the quality of the output is inferior with matched settings.

Thanks,

-Mike

D1 pro sounds like a diode laser type to me, so it would be better to use mm/min as units. But, which values did you use in mm/s in your test?

Hi.

If I was a betting kind of a guy, I’d be willing to bet that while the speed on LB burn was in mm/s, in the XCS it was actually mm/min.
The ghost image is a result of the too high speed, something couldn’t keep up.

Do check the laser head play on the gantry and adjust if needed as well, on mine it developed quite a significant amount of play in the beginning.

Neither of those points doesn’t explain why the height of the text is different as well though.

It is.

While that’s a suggested default in many applications (including XCS IIRC), and a good educated guess and a starting point when running any G-Code the first time, it’s really just a remnant from the days of really slow XY beds that entry level CNC-machines had.

There’s actually no reason why either way (or in/ft / sec/min in the imperial units for that matter) by itself would in any way be better or worse in XY(Z) movement.
As long as they match of course :slight_smile:

Regards,
Sam

:finland:

XCS probably has scanning offsets prepopulated while LB would not.

1 Like

Of course, that’s true from a physical standpoint, though there is quite a difference in terms of resolution. So, it makes much sense to measure a slow system in units that have a better resolution in the main working range. You could also measure in km/h or mph, but this won’t give you the granularity that’s required.

Therefore, it actually makes a lot of sense to use mm/min for a diode laser instead of mm/s since it gives you 60 times the resolution to fine-tune your settings.

Hi.

True, could very well be that as well.

I haven’t played enough with mine to have considered that possibility.
Thanks Chris for pointing that out.

Also, as an afterthought and seeing that You’re new to this @myersms , have You installed the .lbdev file needed to operate the xTool D1’s GRBL:ish controller with LB.

I have no idea (since I’ve never even considered trying) about all the pequliarities the various LB versions vs. various xTool FW versions would have, or if it wouldn’t work at all with some combinations, but it is pretty safe to say that all sorts of weirdness is guaranteed if one tries to use xTool D1 -or any other xTool product for that matter- with LB as-is.

xTool is really an odd duck when it comes down to the controllers/FW, hopefully the compatibility issues get resolved soon, as have been discussed in other threads.

This has been said numerous times before, but I feel that it needs to be said once again, xTool is the source of the problems and less than truthful compatibility claims, not LB.

Regards,
Sam

:finland:

I don’t own an xTool, but from what I read over the past years, I can fully agree here :slight_smile:

Depends on how many decimals LB can use and how comfortable the user is working with them.

632.4 mm/min = 0.023577309 mph

:smiley:
Something tells me LB doesn’t calculate to the 9th decimal, but I could be wrong.

I use mm/min and typically round to the nearest 25. Although I consider a jump of 25 pretty fine. Most of my jobs don’t require that level of precision. Power, on the other hand, I frequently make 1-2% steps when doing greyscale.

1 Like

That’s what I was talking about. Pretty sure it doesn’t. And even if it would, start tuning to use 0.023577310 instead of 0.023577309 is much more error-prone than just changing 632.4 to 633 :slight_smile:

I agree. I just like being pedantic. :grin:

1 Like

Hello everyone, I was using MM/SEC in both programs. If I want to get a similarly crisp engraving in light burn I have to use a very slow speed and medium power. In XCS that engraving (the good one) was 100 power 200 speed. I would really like to be able to achieve that same amount of darkness in my engraving without burning but I cannot seem to find it but I thought if I knew the relationship between the two softwares communication with the laser I maybe able to get that result from lightburn.

Do you have the option in the cut/layer to disable bi-directional?

If you look closely at the engraving, it appears that the offset is in between as if it has severe backlash. If you can disable bi-directional, then it would confirm or deny this.

I always use mm/s - I can watch it and tell about how fast it’s running … I guess I’m old or just being an animal (human) I don’t like to change … had two jeeps, one in mp/h the other km/h, what a pain…

I rarely run into conversion issues unless it’s very small dimensions… So far I’m pretty confident things are working…

Lightburn will tell you the precision… they’ve spoke about it before… that kind of stuff doesn’t really stick in my brain…

I suspect his issue is not if he’s in mm a second or a minute… IMHO, do what’s most comfortable for you … :crazy_face:

Have fun

:smile_cat:

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the feedback,

Where do I find that particular option to disable bi-cirectional?

Thanks,

-Mike

If you have it, it’s in the cut/layer settings…This is for docs for Fill mode.

Hello Jack,

My window looks different. I cannot find that setting option.

I am on version 1.5.0.06

See screenshot below;

t

Found it.

Thanks

I run Ubuntu Linux so the OS can influence some of the differences.

The other is the device, some will have options because the device has these controls available. If the option isn’t on the device, it’s usually not on the gui.

Basically they have the same information for the same device.

Screenshots are actually from the beta 1.7 version… :crazy_face: