LightBurn wireless connect to engraver, Plug & Play solution, work for xTool, Atomstack, Scunfun, Ortur, Creality, etc

With Mintion’s latest firmware of Lasercam, it’s working flawlessly for wireless connection between LightBurn and engraver, like the LightBurn wireless Bridge. Now we are testing for different brands’ engravers and all seems ok.

Wireless bridge for LightBurn and Engraver

LIGHTBURN ADMIN EDIT BELOW

LightBurn does not recommend remote monitoring of your laser. Laser fires can and do happen, and not being at the machine to address this is a huge safety hazard

Not so…

The Lightburn bridge contains code to handle the Ruida UDP communications and only works with dsp type controllers via an Ethernet connection, no usb.

It’s always impressive to show a video, where all the text is Chinese … probably only runs on window also.

So is this an advertisement?

:smile_cat:

1 Like

My captions were in English, but it still looks like a commercial to me.

Note the username. I don’t think this is meant to be overly subtle.

Yes, you can think of it as some kind of an ad., but we did try many times for wireless connection because we put engravers in another room to avoid smoke issue.

We tried xTool D1 Pro, Ortur LM3, and Atomstack A10 Pro with ESP32 for wireless connection, the ESP32 solution is good; however, this solution needs to install the Tibbo virtual server but does not work for MAC.

Finally, our solution has resolved the system problem; at least, it’s worked flawlessly for us. We don’t need to keep our eyes on the engraver in one room. :grin:

Yes, it’s similar to the Octoprint for 3d printers; and we have the Octoprint alternative solution is the Beagle camera. So the principle is similar, LightBurn bridge uses Rasberry Pi, connected to the engraver (only for Ruida controller), and configured to wifi. But in our case, the Rasberry Pi is replaced by Mintion Lasercam, and engravers will be used not just for one controller, but for GRBL protocol engravers.

And MAC computer works too :wink:

This is a very interesting approach but I fail to see the advantage. Most of the recently released laser engravers use an ESP32 chip that’s wifi capable. Except for delays caused by custom protocols from very few manufacturers, LightBurn already communicates with the majority of these. I have an MKS-DLC32 that is holding up well with its built-in wireless functionality.

To set up the wireless connection directly from LightBurn, select the TCP Option when creating the Device Profile…

then enter the IP address for the Engraver that LightBurn should be expecting.

2024-01-03 Forum 122476 IP adress

Finally, enter the name and password of your local wireless network into your laser engraver so the engraver has access.

The LightBurn Bridge was developed so Mac OS computers could communicate with the Ruida controllers in the larger CO2 lasers. Modern Mac computers have serial ports that work at a lower voltage and the Ruida rarely detects this. The Raspberry Pi, the heart of the LightBurn Bridge, manages the voltage requirements and the UDP communication expected by the Ruida controller.

We offer the software for the LightBurn Bridge as an optional, no-cost, complementary service to our customers. Customers are welcome to buy our kit, or download the software and flash a suitable Raspberry Pi of their own.

LightBurn offers the assertion that you are expected to be present and alert while using a laser engraver. We have seen many reports of small fires rapidly becoming large fires (and capital losses) when not tended to quickly. This escalation happens surprisingly quickly with engravers equipped with Air-Assist.

You are offering advice that is counter to safety precautions that we feel are reasonable. You are free to do so at your peril. We do not endorse being momentarily absent from a laser engraver while it is running.

Agreed, very similar, but Lasers have much higher working temperatures.

2 Likes

This is a very interesting approach but I fail to see the advantage. Most of the recently released laser engravers use an ESP32 chip that’s wifi capable. Except for delays caused by custom protocols from very few manufacturers, LightBurn already communicates with the majority of these. I have an MKS-DLC32 that is holding up well with its built-in wireless functionality.

I tried the wireless connection too, but if input the IP address directly in LightBurn, it’s not work; I did it after installing the Tibbo Virtual Server with a virtual COM port, then it works for wireless. Is there any new solution to access?

LightBurn offers the assertion that you are expected to be present and alert while using a laser engraver. We have seen many reports of small fires rapidly becoming large fires (and capital losses) when not tended to quickly. This escalation happens surprisingly quickly with engravers equipped with Air-Assist.

You are offering advice that is counter to safety precautions that we feel are reasonable. You are free to do so at your peril. We do not endorse being momentarily absent from a laser engraver while it is running.

Agreed with you for the safety reason. In our case, we have three engravers here and only one enclosure; when they are on engraving, the smoke makes us uncomfortable even though we have an exhaust fan and air filter, and then we have to take some moments to break or short leave. Therefore, short leave should be OK and we don’t suggest just leaving the engraver alone either.

With a camera for real-time video, then I don’t need to stay a long time beside the engraver for bearing the smoke issue, especially when we cutting plywood; And if LightBurn can add an IP address button for the camera, then the real-time video could be shown on LightBurn as well. All the connections between the engraver and LightBurn are wireless, which will be very convenient and flexible.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.