Lightburn won't connect to laser

Either after renewing license or changing usb cable on my laser, Lightburn will not connect to my laser. Both things happend on the same day.

Does LightBurn still open normally? If so, unlikely to be related to the renewal.

What prompted the change in cable? If the old cable is still good and available, what happens if you swap back?

Can you confirm that the correct port is being selected in Laser window?

no the usb end broke on the cable that came with laser. I had to replace it. The cable from the laser to the computer is the same

I have the omtech laser 100. the usb end of the cable inside laser broke. That is the cable i replaced with one from amazon. It did not come with that cylinder near the end like the old one had. would that make a difference

Not sure what this could be. Is this the bracket that secures the cord to the chassis? If not, can you take a picture?

How did the cable break? Is there potentially more damage elsewhere? Perhaps at the controller?

Try connecting the cable from the computer directly into the controller without the stub.

That’s probably the ferrite choke. Highly recommended to maintain a clean signal to your laser. It helps block EMI.
Watch this for a deeper understanding

Get a quality USB cable.

Yes, thank you
My new cable does not have the ferrite choke. Do you feel this would cause lightburn software to connect to my laser. It seems other people have had the same issue with lightbun but no one has mentioned having to replace a cable on their laser.

the white tab inside usb end of the cable that came with the laser broke off. We have to unhook our lap top from the laser often.

Although this could cause a less reliable signal I’d be surprised if it prevented a connection entirely.

Okay. So the damage is limited to the extension stub itself? If so, then this should be okay.

If you can, I’d suggest try plugging in directly from the computer to the controller bypassing the stub. This will eliminate that from the equation to tell you if there’s something else going on.

The absence of a ferrite choke might be a cause for intermittent or (rarely) no connection at all.

This is often recommended for those who have connection problems with their laser when there isn’t a more obvious solution.

The big clue here was in your original post you described two events.

1. Renewing Lightburn
  2. Changing the USB cable

Of those two, the second is surely the smoking gun here. Especially since you described the cable as being physically damaged. My recommendation is to get a good quality USB cable that does have the ferrite choke. Also please remember that sometimes this is a process of elimination. There may be something else amiss. This may be just a first step is solving the problem but we’re going for the most obvious fix first.

I have replaced my usb cord. And it did not make a difference. When i plug it into my computer usb port it does not make that ding sound. I know the port is work because i tried my wireless mouse in every usb port i have on my lab top.

I have also done the hub management theory suggested. That did not work either.

I don’t know what step to take next.
My laser and lightburn were working great for a year now.

Did you attempt plugging the cable directly from computer into controller, bypassing the extension? Want to make sure the issue is not related to that extension cable.

If you can’t get USB to work then is ethernet an option?

Yes i have to no avail

Not a good sign. Can you double-check to make sure you’re using the USB-PC port on the controller, and not the UDISK port meant for flash drives?

Does the display panel turn on correctly and are you able to control the motors?

Separately, do you see any device configured for the laser in Windows Device Manager. Even an Unknown device?

If USB does not work are you able to use Ethernet?

I connected with ethernet and I am now up and running again.
Thanks for the help

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.