Line shift or missing steps

Main question: In trying to etch a 2mm x 2mm grid, some of the lines along the y-axis are shifted to the left and right. They occur in the same spots with repeated cutting. They are not the last lines cut, and the grid continues in the correct position after cutting the errant lines. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One additional question. I found a solution to optimize line cutting in another post, but I can’t seem to locate that particular window with those options. If you could direct me how to navigate to the cut optimization window that would be great.

Disc grid 02

I think it may have to do with the configuration of the stepper motor steps.
As I’m not sure, I suggest you wait for other opinions.

Kuth, thanks for the reply. Your post sparked an idea to swap the x and y stepper drivers, to see if the error would flip to the other axis. I am still seeing the errors along the y-axis, so possibly a motor issue like you suggested and not driver related. Will await other opinions.

1 Like

Can you take a screenshot of the Preview window for this job? (Alt+P)

I didn’t know that existed, thanks for the info. As you can see, the path is far from optimized. Any help there would be welcomed too. Thanks.

Additional info that may or may not help diagnose the problem. We’ve been experiencing small errors, even when cutting one simple circle, an occasional (and seemingly random) movement off the path, but enough that it has rendered our laser unusable for anything requiring accuracy. The errors in this current grid program however are repeatable.

I’ve reexported only the vertical lines, optimized from left to right.
It seems to have improved, but there are still lines on the left side that are not accurate.
This error is repeatable across multiple cuts.
The horizontal equivalent cut with no errors.

I’d say this is mechanical backlash due to something loose in the X axis drivetrain, probably a setscrew in the motor pulley or along the belt path. It will be absolutely repeatable when the pattern applies the same movements.

The long traversal movements slap the backlash to both limits of whatever’s loose, so you’ll see some lines mashed together and others spread far apart.

Ednisley,
Spot on. I just tightened two set screws on the x-axis motor and the error has been resolved.
Huge thank you!
Cheers,
Joshua

Tah-dah!

Bonus: now you know what to look for the next time that happens!

2 Likes

Helping isn’t just about hitting the bull’s eye, it’s also about guiding you on the right way.

1 Like