Lines on engraving tests spaced unevenly

Hello! I’ve been doing some scanning offset adjustments as I’ve realized my engravings on my Falcon 2 40W(in precision 22W mode) are not coming out okay. It made the results better, but I’m wondering if my issues are arising from this strange movement from the Y axis.

Even though I’ve set the line interval to .5mm, it seems to be consistently changing from a .2 interval to a .4-ish interval every other line. I’m thinking this may be an issue with my belts, but I am new to this kind of hardware, and wondering if anyone else has experienced uneven line intervals! Where should I start troubleshooting this type of issue? Thanks for reading, I appreciate any input!

Solved the issue

What did you do?

Other folks will benefit from your pathfinding!

Hey! I took the falcon 2 apart and adjusted the eccentric nuts on the machine which was causing the hitches in both the X and Y axis belts. It seems to be easy on the Y axis, but on the X axis it can be a bit sensitive to adjusting the eccentric nut. Too loose, and the laser attatchment plate will wobble. Slightly too tight, and I get evenly spaced bands of increased resistance when pushing the laser module along the X axis. I still have a bit of wobble, but it is a lot better than before, and within acceptable tolerances to continue fine tuning the machine.

Phew!

Those are intended for adjustment, but lack any way to carefully adjust them, so comes down to setting by guess and by gosh.

Congrats on finding & fixing an unnecessarily obscure problem!

Thanks! It was indeed obscure! Coming from a liner rail system, it’s taking me a bit to get my head around all the workings of a belt system. So, from my understanding so far, an eccentric nut adjusts the pressure of the screw pressing against the components that are on the attached screw, correct? Just want to get a deeper understanding of this while I’m here so I can further my knowledge on my machine! Got the gist, but a deeper understanding never hurts!

That’s about it. A wheel always turns around its center axis and the eccentric nut adjusts the position of that axis with respect to the rail. The proper adjustment is juuust slightly less than the radius of the wheel, so the wheel is juuust slightly compressed against the rail while still moving smoothly along the entire rail.

There’s no way to measure the position other than by feel and the wheel doesn’t look any different no matter what you do, so it’s difficult to get right without considerable practice.

When your fingers learn that feel, however, you’ll never forget!

:grin:

Good to know! I appreciate the help with this! Now onto fine tuning this shiny new machine!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.