Linux click apprun?

apprun is not in the downloaded file. Is it supposed to be or is it created by linux?

You should be able to just launch “LightBurn” directly. If that doesn’t work, let me know.

that does not work.
“there is no application installed for executable files…”

I changed permissions on the lightburn app to allow executable and it now works…
Why did I need to do this?

Because Linux is terrible? Seriously, I just don’t know much about Linux, haven’t figured out how to properly deploy for it yet, but it represents about 1% of our users, so it’s low priority.

I have a small home theater pc that is too slow for windows. It seems to be ok on lightburn excepter for raster preview…

The raster preview is running the full motion planning simulation, so it’s a little heavy.

In the security model used in Linux, files must be flagged as executable before they can be run. By default, files in Linux are not flagged executable.

Normally setting the correct file permissions would be handled by the installer but Lightburn does not have a Linux installer. What you download is just an archive file that you extract the contents from and move to the location you want Lightburn to live. Therefore, you had to manually set the exe flag.

2 Likes

Thems fightin words :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks. Will this affect running a raster on my soon to be completed laser (grbl)

No.

I had to add this line to meet the 20 character minimum.

2 Likes

Nope - As long as the software has permission to run you should be good to go.

Linux is terrible… lack of understanding does not make software terrible.
As for the install issue, I can provide a copy of my .desktop file and instructions on how I have LightBurn installed on my LInux system. All functions work fine other than the camera.
I’m glad Lightburn is ported to LInux and do appreciate there efforts even if its a smaller number of users.

1 Like

I am also very glad Lightburn is ported to Linux. If you poked around the Lightburn or Laser facebook groups, you’ll see so many instances of Windows deciding that mid-job is the best time to update, where Linux respects you as a user and waits for you to tell it to update. It can be a bit daunting to learn, but there was a time when you didn’t know how to use Windows or MacOS either.

Personally I don’t like the direction windows is going as a desktop, which is why I’ve been trying to push Linux use at our makerspace when the software allows for it.

1 Like

FYI I submitted a PR to the documetation repo to fix this. I must have missed this step when I wrote it last year. Hopefully we shouldn’t see this issue come up again.

The “terrible” comment was a bit tongue in cheek - I did the work to port it, and would like to support it better in the future as a way of helping myself learn Linux. It’s lighter weight than Windows and tends to run better on older / slower systems as well.

I’m very new to Linux, and their dependency management trips me up a lot still, but I’m learning.

1 Like

I have done my first install of ubuntu.
I can not believe you have to enter cryptic commands in a terminal program to install software! All I want to do is change my desktop theme, or even just colours, and I had to install a tweak utility! Wouldn’t you think that would be built in?

Any way, probably early to make a solid opinion…

Not everyone wants to change their background. Linux is sort of a workhorse for some (most?) people. Plus they might not want to show favoritism towards a certain utility.

The default install was orangish text on a yellowish background. Barely readable.