Linux Mint, Lightburn opens in 'untitled' window that can't be resized or moved

I know nothing about Linux…or Mint. There, I said it. But I didn’t want to shell out another $100 for a Windows license just for the second hand computer I set up for my laser. Despite everything, however, I was able to install Lightburn on Mint, and get it working. The only issue is that the window Lightburn initially opens into can’t be moved or resized. It has no maximize button (although it does have a minimize button that works). The banner across the top of the window reads “untitled”. Right clicking the banner will give me limited options: Once I choose “move”, the window can be moved by grabbing the banner. That also allows me to choose “resize” and I can make the window smaller but never bigger or maximized. I’m guessing there is some configuration file that is missing? Maybe Lightburn is running from the wrong location? Any help is appreciated. Once I get this solved, I’ll move to why Mint it won’t let Lightburn communicate over ethernet (USB works after I added myself to the ‘dialout’ group.

TLDR: Linux is one strange beast!

Mint uses the Cinnamon desktop environment last I checked, which we don’t test on. Officially we support Ubuntu 16.04+ and Fedora 28+ with Gnome or KDE. Anything else is definitely Your Mileage May Vary.
What version of Mint are you using?

I amrunning Mint 20 w/ Cinnamon. I will try splitting the drive and installing Ubuntu as well. It doesn’t really matter what flavor I’m running since the computer will almost always be dedicated to strictly running Lightburn.

Thanks for your prompt reply! I just got my first laser cutter and I’m having a great time with Lightburn and the laser.

Mike

Installed the newest Ubuntu with Gnome and encountered much of the same issue as the Mint Cinammon… the window is unable to maximize (still ‘untitled’). It does move around better in Ubuntu but I still can’t get it too look right. The lower portion of the screen gets cut off, menu options are reduced (I guess since there’s not as much left to right space). I would guess it’s a resolution issue or a driver issue but the fact that the window loads as ‘untitled’ makes me want to guess that it has something to do with the window not being configured correctly in the display manager. I will keep putzing a bit and see if I can get it working.

Finally found a working solution with Ubuntu 20.4 and KDE. The window still says ‘untitled’ but it operates exactly how it should apart from the very bottom being obscured by the taskbar…a minor irritant at best. Thanks again for the help you provided.

Mike

‘Untitled’ is the name of your LightBurn file before you give it one - that’s not an issue.

What is the resolution of the display? If it’s too low (less than 800 pixels tall) you’ll likely need to lower the size of the tool buttons, and possibly need to rearrange some things to make everything fit. LightBurn was intended for larger displays.

It is a very old display, I think 768 vertical. I’ll look into making the tool buttons smaller. Thanks for the suggestion!

This happens because the LightBurn window by default shows a lot of panels, and the total of the minimum size of all the panels is bigger than the display size.

Effectively, the minimum LightBurn window size is bigger than your display, and the display manager does the best it can under the circumstances. The window resize icons (UR corner of the screen) and the layer/color bar at the bottom is offscreen and inaccessible.

To get around this, type <alt>-W to bring up the Lightburn window menu and start unchecking things. As you uncheck things the application window will shrink, and eventually you’ll see the whole application. Once it gets small enough, you can check the “maximize” icon to force the window to full screen.

Then when using lightburn, only open the panels you need as you need them.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.