Linux, unable to run LightBurn from Debian

Hi,

I try to run a licensed version (last download…) on Debian/raspebby PI4 without success …

OS version is : Debian 11 Bullseye

After install, when clicking on the LB icon, a window opens with several options :

• Execute
  • Run from terminal
  • Open
  • Cancel

I’ve tryied the 2 first options without success : the mouse cursor change to a watch for few seconds then nothing.

I’ve try to find some informations in the logs (not found LB specific one …) without success

Help appreciated
:slight_smile:

pm

How did you install it?

Might have to mark it as an executable.

Do you have a LightBurn.desktop file?

This is Ubuntu, but Debian is a much more pure Linux…

Use find to locate them or identify them as missing… This allows you click on an icon…

jack@Kilo:~$ find ~/ -iregex ".*lightburn.*\.desktop$"
/home/jack/.local/share/applications/LightBurn-beta.desktop
/home/jack/.local/share/applications/LightBurn-release.desktop
jack@Kilo:~$ 

This is one of mine… the .txt is there so I can upload it to the site…

LightBurn.desktop.txt (222 Bytes)

:smile_cat:

Thanks for interest !

lb installed as indicated on the web site

yes, LightBurn.desktop in /home/me/.local/application
yes, marked as Executable (every body … changed from owner only : no success)

It takes 10 seconds before the mouse pointer change from watch to normal arrow, meaning somethngs is happening.
I can’t find the log file where the error (?) is written

Again, thanks for helping

You should be able to

sudo dmesg | tail

This should read the system error file and show the last entries… it’s very long, so I pipe it through tail to pitch most of it…

Running on a Raspberry Pi is non-trivial and definitely not supported.

Unless you’re very savvy with computers in general and specifically with Linux I’d advise against it.

Having said that, if you’re interested I put some work into getting this to work. You can find more information here:

Hi again,

I tryied the ‘dmesg | tail’ … it show 2 errors :
(vc4-drm gpu: user defined mode not supported …)

then i try to run lb 2 more times, the rerun the above command.
no new entry … i guess the lb error is not the found message
:frowning:

any other idea to help ?

thanks

thks, I’ll read that post !

Note that I posted that months ago and I don’t think a single other person has pursued it since. This is in spite of many claimed desires to have this capability. I suspect that’s in large part to the utility of it and the high barrier to entry.

Not all problems with the process were solved but it demonstrates the proof of concept. I didn’t have a fast enough Pi to test potentially better scenarios and wasn’t willing to pay scalper prices at the time. I suspect using a Ubuntu 20.04 for ARM base instead of Pi OS could resolve some of the remaining issues.

Thanks for the correction, I was thinking it was debian on one of the supported architectures… missed his PI as part of the equation…

Don’t be so sure of what you think you don’t know :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.