Linux window size

I would like to start by saying thank you. This software is really awesome. I have had the same laser for 3 years and this is the first issue I have had. I currently updated my shop computer and am running Ubuntu 20.04. I have been using the same setup with a different computer without issue. I also have a desktop that I use for testing purposes. Both with no problem or issue.

After installing Lightburn, I get this for my screen. I am unable to access anything that is off screen, and I am also missing the icon for restore down and maximize. I am probably overlooking something simple, but it is the fine on my other machines. This is a new fresh install of everything, the software and the OS.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Exactly the same thing happened to me and I struggled with the problem since January. Then mysteriously the problem disappeared and I have no idea why this happened. Was it an update to Ubuntu Linux? Was it the change to the latest version of Lightburn?

Do all other applications behave properly? Specifically QT based applications? Windows management is more the realm of the OS than the application.

have you double clicked on the title bar to maximize the app window?

You also might try removing your preferrence file and let it build a new one and see how that plays out. Export your device configuration if you don’t want to recreate your devices.
mv ~/.config/LightBurn/prefs.ini ~/.config/LightBurn/prefs.ini.backup

Also, somewhere in these forum I posted about what I did to get LightBurn to work on a tablet with a limited screen size. Something there might be handy.

1 Like

You can also look for these settings in the prefs.ini file and change them. I found them near the bottom of the file:
“WindowIsMaximized”: true,
“WindowPosX”: 0,
“WindowPosY”: -29,
“WindowSizeX”: 1722,
“WindowSizeY”: 815,

Everything else is behaving fine. I understand that this is more a realm of the OS than the application, but because it is only happening to this program I was reaching out here for the assistance.

tried the double click before posting and didn’t help. Have tried removing the prefs.ini, uninstalling and reinstalling. still nothing. will look for the post for the tablet. Also have tried editing the prefs.ini file and it didn’t work.

Cannot explain, and will not try without looking at source code. Fixed the issue by connecting an external monitor which is a larger screen. Personally without looking at the source code, I would say that the way the window is defined is the culprit. That is just my opinion. Still am very happy with the software as a whole and keep up the good work to all the developers.

Does it only behave properly with the external monitor connected? Or does it now behave all the time even without the external monitor?

Only when on the external monitor. This is an issue that I can work with.

I suspect the window decoration setting is specific to each display and somehow “stuck” with what you’re seeing. I recall seeing something similar to this some time back but can’t recall how it was addressed. Possibly something in gconf or dconf. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

if you changed your prefs.ini file so that it had “WindowIsMaximized”: true, and it did not change to maximizing the window when started then you are not using the correct prefs.ini file. Or you changed it while the app was running. It must be changed BEFORE you run the application.

The other thing I did on the tablet was to float the embedded windows on the right side of LightBurn and then put them back so there was only a single viewable window on the right with a bunch of tabs to select the other windows/options. By doing this it let me resize the work-area screen enough to see top and bottom of the app window.

process is important… if you uninstalled and reinstalled and got the same that is expected since it does not remove the configuration file(prefs.ini). But if you uninstalled, deleted the ~/.config/LightBurn directory then installed and it did the same then that tells me your display resolution is too low and you have to trick it to give you a workable size.

LightBurn is hard-coded with window sizes unfriendly to smaller display resolutions and since Microsoft controls what hardware Windows get put onto, they don’t have to deal with lower resoluttion display sizes so the devs have this very low on their priority list if it’s even on the list.

Ya likely have to trick it by having only one window on the right which has lots of tabs or get a better LCD display having higher resolution.

Hey Doug, your pic of the tablet install is doing the same as what mine was. Also, in looking through the forum, there are mac books that are doing the same thing.

I understand about having to do process and that you need to change the prefs file without being in the program. I am a retired programmer / sys admin. I am sorry, but it is looking like the way the window is defined and there is a minimum size on the definition. I appreciate the help, and will just continue with the bigger screen for now.

1 Like

I did get it to work on the tablet install after moving the right panel to having only one section AND using auto-hide of the taskbar.

Window size less than a certain value causes problems due to the two panels on the side. See:

That might help you enough to then deal with window size presets.

1 Like

Thank you Tom, te hard reset works. I appreciate all the help.

Then it’s likely the process I show and mentioned fixes your setup too. The solution is in that thread.

Sounds like a bug if removing the prefs.ini, the app rebuilds it on startup, is different than running the Window-reset to default layout option.

Good to know there is yet another way to reset the default window layout.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.