Longer Laser B1 40W - Air Assist not Blowing

I have the air assist hose hooked up and I have the unit plugged into the machine but when i run a job there is no air coming out of the hose.

I assume you have air assist on in cuts/layers. What is air assist set to in device settings?

Yes, it’s on in Cuts/Layers as well as under Device Settings I have it set to M8 as per my model recommendation.

1 Like

Did air assist come with machine? Where is hose hooked up?
Does pump come on? Is valve open?

Yes, air assist came with machine and it’s hooked up. Hose is going to the laser into a side valve, i do not hear the pump coming on though, valve is open.

Having the same issue with new B1 30W. Did you solve your problem with air assist?

Nope, not yet. Still searching for a solution.

I reached out to Longer they are going to send me another one and we’ll see if that resolves the issue or not. I will post here when I try the next one.

How did you reach out to Longer? I sent them an email over a week ago about my air assist and have not heard back.

Is the connection just a simple two pin setup. Maybe a 3.5 or 5 mm barrel jack?

If so, it should output DC voltage (likely 24v) when the output goes active. Easy to check if you have a voltmeter. If you also have access to a benchtop power supply or suitable battery, you can also apply power the pump directly.

You can send M8 (and/or M7) via console to turn it on without sending a job. M9 turns it off. I have those set up as LB Macros.

1 Like

Does the air assist turn on if you just use it manually without connecting to the machine. If so Use the console to see which command, M7 or M8 turns on your air assist. Use M9 to turn it off. Your machine may need M7 instead of M8 for the air assist

Glad you found it!

I have to stretch the window a little to get the Air Assist controls in device settings (small laptop screen)

The OK button is occasionally overlooked. :slight_smile:

Is there any indication on the air pump what the power input should be?

Mine is not labeled, but it’s an odd tube-shaped Ikier pump. I knew it was 24v because that’s what my controller pump output…outputs.

These are all basically rewound aquarium air pumps. I’ve been in the aquarium hobby for over 30 years and the dozen or variations I’ve personally used were all AC powered. I have a hard time imagining a laser controller passing mains voltage thru a relay to power a pump, but I suppose it’s possible. Regardless, I wouldn’t hesitate to put 24vdc briefly to an unlabeled pump just to confirm operation. Wouldn’t melt the coils THAT fast. Lol.

I’m setting an Algo DIY 5W machine now and those designers decided to use a 4 pin connector that’s similar to a DIN, but different pin spacing. I reached out get the connector specs and pinout, but they said to wait for the “upcoming” pump release. Sigh. I guess I’ll wait.

Yes, the one I have is 24V

I was just looking at the manual. When your engraver connects to LightBurn does it claim to be an MKS DLC32? Please select and copy that message from the Console window in LightBurn and paste it here. It may have advanced settings that are related to the air pump. I’m downloading the files now.

I don’t have the manual that shipped with your engraver. I’m attempting to figure out where the air assist plugs in. Sometimes a firmware update is required.

These hobby laser controllers started out as CNC controllers. The hobby CNC spindles can demand mains power and the controllers will switch solid state relays or talk to a VFD.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.