Longer Ray5 SD card

I have the Longer Ray5 10W laser. It has a control panel with an LCD display and a port into which a microSDHC card can be inserted. It came with one such card (4G microSDHC ) on which a number of g-code files were included. . The purpose of the port is to allow offline engraving through the use of g-code files created (by Lightburn for example). and copied onto the card.

The included microSDHC card operates/engraves perfectly. However when I insert other microSDHC cards I get the message “No SD Card” on the LCD display. I’ve tried all “flavors” and memory sizes of microSDHC cards with the same result… I copied the g-code files from the origonal microSDHC card to the new cards and still got the same message.fail on the LCD display. Is there some special configuration for the card to be recognized?

I don’t know the machine itself but, it is possible to format the new SD card with the board software with it inside the slot?

I have the same laser I had to format the SD card. also sometime I have to turn off my laser and back on to clear it. hope that helps.

1 Like

There is a difference in Formatting between an SD card and a TF card.

If you have blanks to chose from I would attempt to apply the FAT32 formatting.

Is there a way to confirm the formatting of the 4GB card that came with the Longer Ray5?

Found Here: What format is your SD card in right now? Quickly check the SD card properties here : Support Team

I’ve since been told that the largest microSDHC card that the Longer Ray5 10W supports is 16G. Using that I have to then reformat it. Can anyone else confirm that? It just seems strange to me to limit the size to 16G when the limit on size for any SDHC card is 32G. However I’ve tried 32G and the card was rejected (as I have related). I did not try to reformat those cards to date.

James thank you for your response. What was the maximum size microSDHC card you’ve used on the Ray5. Also what did you format it to?

James thank you for your response. What was the maximum size microSDHC card you’ve used on the Ray5. Also what did you format it to?

I will have to check when I get home. I just know I used what ever I had laying around. I dont use them often like like having my laptop hooked to the lasers but some times I need to unhook. I will check when I get home.

on a side not I have security cameras that will not take anything over a certain gig size so it might not be unheard of.

I just received this email from Longer Tec support. It looks like 8gig or 4gig are the only card it will read.

Dear friends!
We tried a TF card that can only support a maximum of 8G, and you can replace it with a 4G TF card. In the format selection dropdown, choose “MS-DOS (FAT)” as the format.
have a nice day
best wishes
charles

2 Likes

I am having the same trouble that seems to be going on in the chat. I tried formatting the card as you stated in DOS-DOS (fat). I tried turning the laser on and off a couple of times and still nothing. Is there any other advice you may have?

Is your SD card larger than 8 gig? That is the largest it will take. You could also have a bad card. Did you try a different card 8 gig or smaller?

No It’s only a 4 gig

My card that came with my Ray5 also stoped working. My Mac would boot the card but the Ray 5 would not. I got a new 8gig card and have not had any other problems.

Thanks Tom I will give that a try.