Macbook Air M1 running Ventura 13.1 cannot connect to LB, cannot even see laser

Do you think this could cause me grief elsewhere later on? I wonder if this is why it keeps showing my phone as being connected in Finder even though I’ve ejected it a million times.

Definitely going to just wait for the router though

If you have issues setting it up or making it work … sing out…

:smile_cat:

Success! Finally

Thanks again for everything Jack

Did you get connected via wifi?

If so, great, glad you’re up and running…

Mark the thread solved if that’s the case…

Take care

1 Like

I did and I will! :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: xTool D1 Pro connect with M1 MacBook Pro

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: xTool D1 Pro connect with M1 MacBook Pro

Like you, I have read that some people with M1 macs have been able to connect via USB. I was successful connecting with my xtool. Once I picked up my OMTech 80 watt, I have never connected via usb again. At the same time, I can connect to the camera on the laser via usb just fine.

So, my recommendation, do one of two things. First, connect via an Ethernet cable directly to the laser. Second, buy an inexpensive Wi-Fi range extender. Configure it to connect to your home Wi-Fi network. Hook your laser via cable to the range extender.

There are a couple of good articles on the details, but that’s the gist of it.

Sorry, I wrote all of that and must have hit post before I read the entire thread. I was basically going to recommend the router/range extender. I like the usefulness of the Wi-Fi connection. You don’t have to be plugged in and sitting right next to the machine. Good luck.

1 Like

Jack, any ideas? It’s happening pretty much each time I send to the laser.

Also, sometimes it gets 90% complete and then this pops up. For that, it completes 90% of the burn as well…

The Ruida uses UDP for communications, which is Universal Datagram Protocol. There is no smarts like tcp/ip.

I’ve had mine fail sitting next to it… It sometimes has an issue…

That is one of the reasons I went to the Lightburn Bridge… hookup is pretty much the same except it puts the laser on it’s own network and handles issues that are caused by UDP… That is why it was created.

I wouldn’t think it would run if it encounter an error on the file transfer… I’d be surprised if the Ruida even knew there was an issue…

At this point you’re pretty much at the mercy of the Ruida… There is a reset button on the console that will do essentially a power up reset.

Also make sure the Ruida is ready to receive and not doing something else, it doesn’t do multi-tasking…

Yeah I found it weird that it started running as well. I couldn’t understand why I came back to the laser thinking it was done and when I saw the test card, the last 10% of it was incomplete.

Could it be something with the wifi? I realized after the fact I could actually access one of my mesh points fairly easily directly, thinking I might just connect directly. Figure that has to be cleaner than using a bridge regardless.

If not, can you advise where you obtain Raspberry Pi’s from these days? I know with the chip shortage they went a bit into hiding. Or is there another option other than that maybe? I have an unused Android box, I feel like that being what it is, I might be able to find a way to convert it for use?

Thanks

This was 4 days ago…

Already sold out. Hey, so I just realized my internet modem is right next to that wifi mesh point I was talking about, so I could connect direct to that. I think I’m going to do this regardless, seems much more advantageous than a wifi signal.

As for using an android box, any idea there? To my understanding those things are essentially mini computers and I believe that is what Raspberry Pi is as well.

Looking at my Modem, I’m realizing it’s the router that expands to multiple ports… regardless, direct to wifi mesh point still seems like a more solid connection

Bummer… You can purchase a PI elsewhere, download the image and write it to an SD card. Boot and run the PI…

I had one laying around and used it until a thunderstorm decided it needed a bit of water…

I now have a 4b pi running the same code…

In truth, the advantage of wifi is really brought home using the bridge as it has software that helps deal with what you are seeing with the Ruida. Mine still fails now and then, but not very often.

I don’t have any hardware running out to the garage.

If I could’ve, I would have just plugged it into your local network, like you mentioned. In essence that’s what it should look like to the devices anyway… just another item on the local lan.

Good luck…

1 Like

If you’re interested and you happened to miss it. Please email Support@LightBurnSoftware.com toward the end of the day.

Please include a link to this forum thread. I think they ran out of the other stuff before the stock in Raspberry Pi boards. You may still be able to snag one.

@jkwilborn @berainlb @ednisley, the Lightburn staff and anyone else for that matter that has taken the time to help me in the past. I originally found the beginner’s guide for LightBurn not realizing (or just being ignorant) that there is a much more comprehensive Users Guide. When I burned my first images with my new laser I knew I needed to find a new resource for settings because (obviously) CO2 is nothing like Diode. I found the full manual and I’ve taken it upon myself to read the thing in it’s entirety. I’m now realizing just how patient and helpful everyone has been when much of the info was there in the first place. I’d like to apologize and thank everyone for the help regardless. I wish I could tell people just how important it is to read this document beforehand which will make you much more well informed. I will say, it is nice to have the experience of over a year or so behind me because I can understand a lot more I believe when reading. Regardless, thanks again.

2 Likes

I’ve been a big advocate of the documentation for some time so glad it’s not just me. It’s very densely written. You’ll find that rereading sections after familiarity will bring additional insights.

1 Like