MacBook not seeing laser machine - Monterey OS - Ruida controller

I am trying to get a MacBook Air running Monterey to talk to the laser machine - LG6040N - via Lightubrn to the Ruida Controller.

It does not.

I attempt to Find Device and it doesn’t detect it. The usb connection from the controller to the MacBook does nothing.

I have a TP-Link that came with the laser machine. There is some information directly on it, but I’ve seen posts on the Lightburn forum mentioning routers and usb-c to ethernet adapters.

So I have many questions…

1. What is the best way to get it to work with the MacBook

2. Is it a 2 machine use for the Lightburn license (I ask this because I have an old laptop running Windows 8 but don’t want to create another problem by using up both). So if I need a newer Windows laptop I will. And if I need to, are there specific requirements for it ?

3. I have a feeling that the TP-link would be flakey (I’ve had range extenders and they were crap). So I don’t feel that this would be a smart choice. Comments?

4. For the Mac users, what was your best solution?

There are known issues with using Mac to communicate to Ruida controllers via USB in LightBurn. This may or may not be the issue you’re seeing when connecting with USB.

The LightBurn Bridge was specifically created to address the issue with USB connections to Ruida. However, due to shortages of Raspberry Pis it may be impossible to find a Bridge. If you happen to have a Pi or have access to one you can install the software yourself and get this to work. This is probably considered the preferred way to connect Mac to Ruida now.

However, ethernet is a perfectly valid and reliable connection. This may be what you’ve seen in terms of USB to ethernet adapters.

You should review the documentation for the TP-Link device. It may be configured as a ethernet to WiFi bridge. If so, it might be designed to put your Ruida controller on the wifi network. This would be similar to the Bridge in functionality but very different in terms application and potential reliability. However, if setup properly and under good conditions this can work fine.

Yes. Normal licenses can be installed on 2 computers simultaneously. It will work on Window 7 or higher. For 7 or 8, you may need to install the driver to connect to the Ruida via USB. Not an issue through Ethernet or Wifi.

I wouldn’t assume that. Depending on what the device is and how it’s configured this could work reliably. Post the specific model number and the notes that came with it if you want feedback.

I think this has been covered in the responses above.

Thanks for responding @berainlb. No documentation came with the laser or TP-link so I’m relying solely on the kindness and other user experience to get it working with the MacBook. There is some info on the back of it so I’ll start there. I literally just got in setup and vented out. So everything is new. I’m up to the challenge but need a starting point.

I will update with pictures of TP-Link

That seems insane. If not the manufacturer you’d think the retailer would support these. I can’t believe nothing at all was included with it.

So looking at the model of that TP-Link it looks like that’s the official white label version of Ruida’s wireless adapter solution. That’s the RD-WIFI sticker.

They have designated this to work in 1 of 2 modes (although technically this is just a generic mini router that can be configured in multiple ways):

1. standalone wifi Access Point - This means this would act as its own AP and you’d change the wifi access point your computer connects to. This is relatively straightforward but has the disadvantage that you’d be disconnected from your primary wifi network in this mode. You can have one or many computers connected to this dedicated AP
  2. client mode - The RD-WIFI will connect to your existing Wifi router. You can reach the Ruida controller through your router which will then communicate to the RD-Wifi. This would allow you to retain your current network and communicate to the laser if I’ve understood things correctly.

I found the manual for the controller here:
RD-WIFI-Wireless-Networking-Instruction.pdf (ruidacontroller.com)

It’s a bit hard to follow and the RD-WIFI UI pictures are shown in Chinese. Not sure if the actual UI has English screens as well.

The section for Client mode is from “2.2 Configured RD-WIFI terminal”.

Yes insane sums it up. I would like it set up as client mode. My physical setup is that my router (Bell) is on the main floor. Laser machine is in basement. I have a pod from Bell to extend coverage to the basement.

I can see the access point when just plugged in to the wall, but can’t configure it via the IP. So I’m guessing I need a direct connection to the Mac, which means I’ll need a usb to ethernet adapter? as there is no ethernet port on the MacBook.

Before the Lightburn Bridge was around, I used this

tp-link ‘bridge’.

The reliability was very good and used it until I found my Pi and loaded the Lightburn code on it. Been using it ever since.

I paid $15 for mine, from this ad/vendor…

Where did you find that RD issued router? How much, if you don’t mind…?

I’ll add this to all of it, I wouldn’t go back to usb for anything…

:smile_cat:

You need to switch your Wifi to the AP that it broadcasts first. Then you connect to the IP listed and configure it from there.

The user interface is in Chinese. The screenshot in the manual for the controller (thank you) is not the same. It does show the SSID, but I don’t see anywhere in any screen the reference to my main router. I don’t have the option to pick client.

I thought I could bypass this altogether and connect the ethernet cable direct to the Mac (usb to ethernet adapter picked up this morning). But it is too small to fit into it. I’ll update with some pictures shortly.

Can you take some screenshots of what the UI looks like?

Yikes. Is there a way to route it behind the case as is done for the other 2 cables there? Else there are other ethernet cables that are flexible (like a flat ribbon cable) that you might be able to get in there.

1 Like

The ‘lid’ to that ‘cable way’ can be removed and you can break out another ‘finger’ to give you clearance.

Find an ‘end’ to the cable way and squeeze the ‘fingers’ in towards the wires. The top will un-hook and you can peel the whole top off it. It just presses back on…

Follow me?

The less connectors the better, but be reasonable… will you have to leave a door open for the cable?

Good luck

Yes to that. Thank you. Manufacturing eng. said to route cable direct to TP link. I did but I can’t configure it. It lists as an access point. I sent them screenshots of each tab of its config. Will wait until tomorrow for response. Thank you!

Oh nice. At least you are getting support. Let us know how it goes.

Probably seen this, but thought I’d drop it anyway… Maybe something…

Re door open, probably. I would just like to get it to the point of doing a cut and will figure that out after. :slight_smile:

Don’t get in a hurry…

just a word of warning…

Ruida doesn’t support Macs. And manufacturer doesn’t support Lightburn so I’m done trying to get it to work with a dead end at every turn.

@jkwilborn - did you mean me being in a hurry? I’ve had MANY delays along the way. I would accept any move forward options from the Universe. I managed to get it to send a file to the laser on the Windows 8 laptop but it didn’t cut.

This post can be closed as I’m not going to waste any more time on compatibility.

It came with the machine.

@jkwilborn

I’ve seen Mac default USB to bluetooth on some devices. It’s not really nothing that it’s doing. Any error messages present? What device is showing in the Laser window in LightBurn (bottom middle of the window when USB is attempted)?

I’m trying to get my hands on a manual. There are a few Mac enthusiasts around.

I love point ‘3’ where you feel “that the TP-link would be flakey” and how that relates to the range extenders. :slight_smile: Solid contender for Pun of the week!

You’ll get this figured out… It’s probably just one of those hard-to-get-started type of things.