Macbook Pro and Lightburn connection - Omtech 80W

We have been trying to get lightburn to connect with our Omtech 80w for a bit now. We are using a USB C to Ethernet adapter from the macbook pro running Mojave. We have gone through and set the IP of the laser the same as the macbook with the last 3 different to give the laser its unique address. I went in and set up the device manually in lightburn (detecting brings up nothing) and lightburn would still show disconnected.

I did an IP ping on the macbook terminal and it does not look like its able to communicate. What can I do to try and get it to work? I’m not super techy so this has been an adventure already lol.

Thanks for any help.

(We tried using a USB C to USB A adapter to connect with usb and that also did not work)

(Our laser is located in a shop with no access to our home network or routers)

How is the ethernet on your Mac connected to the laser? Is it a direct connection from one to the other or are both connected to a common router or switch?

Can you provide the following:

1. Run this command in a Terminal session from your computer and return results
ifconfig
  1. Photo of Ruida network configuration

I am certainly not a network expert but have good experience with a simple little lan hub, connected to the Laser. This cheap hub connects the laser to my w-lan and is this way accessible with my macbook.
Wenn possible, a connection of the laser, directly to the w-lan router (with lan cable) is even better.

If you have a network, then use that and avoid the the usb shell game…

I don’t know how the usb to Ethernet work or how they are configured.

I do know a little about Ethernet connections.

Probably what’s happening is your pc (mac) is requesting an address and the Ruida doesn’t do dhcp.

I plug the Ruida directly into an extra Ethernet connection on the pc.

I configure the port to the Ruida gateway and then the Ruida is visible. You may have to tell your usb->ethernet ‘thingy’ that it’s address is that of the gateway on the Ruida.

This type of connection is a lan of only two devices but the Ruida will seek it’s gateway…

If you want to try this, as in no lan connection, I’d suggest going back to the Ruida default addresses so you don’t confuse yourself… they were 10.0 something.

Make sense?

Another option is via a wireless bridge. I use the Lightburn bridge now, but before I used an Amazon wireless bridge.

It’s on the top of the machine…

:smile_cat

1 Like

With the bridges, do you have to have wifi/internet connection? I’m trying my hardest to understand all of this but i’m not educated in networking things at all! lol

I’m going to give a try to mess around with all of this in a bit.

I’m going to look for a lan hub. In my searching a saw a bunch of people were using (what looked to me like wifi routers) but I thought we could do a direct connection between the laser and mac.

Give me a bit and ill check on all of this. Thank you so much for your reply!

Generally people have a lan (local network) that the cable modem is on. The idea of a wireless bridge is that it extends the range of your network and at the remote end, an Ethernet connection.

As far as the pc knows, it’s just part of the network.

Unfortunately I don’t know if your sitting on gigabit internet with a wired home or on some island with a 300 baud phone modem connection. That’s a wide range to make a statement about that needs to be understood.

If you use a wireless connection to your network, which is most common today, then the bridge would just ‘live’ on your local network, it would appear as another device…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Ah ok, we do have gig internet. The issue with connecting to that would be our laser is out in a shop no where near a connection to our home network. I wanted to be able to connect it to our macbook pro without internet just to control the and send files to the laser.

I will say that I do have ethernet cord run to the shop because I had planned to add a wifi router out there at some point. I’ve just got to figure out how to use a splitter in my attic to connect it to the current network system in our house.

What you want is an Ethernet ‘switch’, I have one that has 20 connections… they are low cost… you will have to plug it in for power. Something like this should work ok to ‘split’ the Ethernet.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG105/dp/B00A128S24/

You didn’t mention where the mac was located relative to the laser…

That’s usually referred to as a ‘bridge’, which is what I spoke about in the first post.

IMHO, I’d suggest you attempt to configure the USB->Ethernet port you have as I described. If you have problems, give us a link to it’s manual or to the ‘store’…

Maybe we can figure it out without too much out of pocket…

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Thank you for all the information!!

My macbook is just a laptop, so currently i just carry it out to the shop and plug it into the laser, or at least this is what i was wanting to be able to do lol.

I’m going to try what you posted before tomorrow, its about to start storming here so I dont want to carry my mac out in the rain lol.

Again, thank you! I’m going to be looking into all of this!

1 Like

Actually this does work

No one mentioned get a good adapter and good cables.

I think because it is a prerequisite that most people assume is fulfilled. Life is too short for bad usb and lan cables / connections :wink:

So an update! I finally got it connected. I ran the Ethernet directly from the laser into the usb c to Ethernet adapter on my MacBook Pro. Went into the network settings and found the ip the adapter was using and set the laser accordingly. I also set the adapter to local link only and it connected.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Engraving letters and line on White Acrylic with Black top coat

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.