MacOS driver problems (Big Sur & Monterey)

This is interesting. I have not been able to get LB to work on my fiber laser without first starting EZCAD2 on my PC and moving the USB cable over. I wonder if using a USB driver would help on the MAC?

I’ve managed to get to get Lightburn working properly by deinstalling the CH34 driver from Monterey. However the scenario which I detailed stills occurs whenever Lightburn is launched while the laser is powered down. Lightburn interferes with a different serial port which is being used by another app.

That’s a bug.

Hey Scott - I don’t know your laser hardware (just learning about my first one). I do know quite a bit about Macs & software in general. I see that you’re running on a very new Mac. I doubt that the driver Lightburn uses on Intel Macs would even instal on your M1 machine. In any event, based on what I’m seeing here, I would suggest that you power up your laser before launching Lightburn - see if that helps.

Regards

Thanks Jeff. I always power on the laser first. That is also how EzCad2 on Windows expects. I understand the EzCad driver is somehow built in to LB but I can not get it to work. I seem to have a generic control board and have ordered the authentic (or more authentic lol) board to see if that makes a difference. But it could be the M1 cpu which is nothing I can change.

I use my fiber almost exclusively on m1 and m1 pro macs. The issue you are seeing is related to your card. Honestly if your new card works out and you aren’t attached to your generic card reach out. It might be useful for developing and figuring out that issue.

Hi Jeff,

You can force LightBurn to ignore ports by creating a PortExclude.txt file, which seems like it would help with your current problem.

• Go to File >> Open Prefs Folder to open LightBurn’s prefs directory
  • Create a file called PortExclude.txt
  • In that file, list the ports you want to exclude, exactly as they show up in the port selection drop down in LightBurn. Each port should be on its own line
  • Save the file, and LightBurn will ignore the ports you’ve told it to filter out

Please let us know if this helps

3 Likes

Jackie

Thank you so much - that’s exactly the type of response I was hoping for. I have verified that it works.

I can’t begin to tell you how much disruption that problem can cause on a Mac-based Home Automation system. It has cost me hours and hours of time over the past week.

Thanks again
Regards

Thanks for confirming that it works, I’ll be adding it to our documentation for easier access in the future.

To be honest, if I had gone hunting in the doc, I would have found it… ran into the exact info this aft when I didn’t need it any more, thanks to your timely feedback.

With all due respect to the development team, I consider that to be a design bug. Allowing a user to risk the blind scan and poll that LB is doing SHOULD be an advanced user option accompanied by a blaring warning dialog - NOT the default behaviour.

That said, i’m beginning to appreciate the product after a week of um… let’s say discomfiture.

Regards

I think I figured it out. I had install FTDI drivers long ago to try another piece of software. Mac drivers are kind of hidden, and eventually I found some files from the install and deleted them. Working now, and fingers crossed.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.