MacOS driver problems (Big Sur & Monterey)

Hi

I’m new to LightBurn. My platform is a MacPro and lately I’m back and forth between the latest version of Big Sur and the latest version of Monterey (reasons for that predate Lightburn instal). Since installing Lightburn and V1.5 of the serial driver, I have had to back down to Catalina to be able to learn how to use Lightburn. It appears to me that there is a driver compatibility problem when running under both Big Sur and Monterey.

The symptoms I have observed are as follows. Once the driver has been installed and the Mac rebooted, Lightburn shows a list of serial ports which includes 2 FTDI driver ports. Those have been there for ages as part of my home automation setup. Also in the list are several more ports which all appear to have resulted from the Lightburn driver installation. Lightburn is able to connect to my Laserstorm (AtomStack?) S10 when I choose one of those ports. However if I close Lightburn then relaunch it, those newer ports are all missing from the list after the relaunch. At that point, Lightburn attempts to contact the laser on one of the FTDI ports which are already opened and in use by home automation software. Lightburn in fact writes data to one of those ports, disrupting the automation package until I close Lightburn. In order to get Lightburn to talk to the laser again, I have to reinstall the Lightburn serial driver then reboot.

Since backing down to Catalina, I have been able to use Lightburn all afternoon and do some experimenting with the laser. I cannot however continue to run Catalina just for Lightburn. My Mac runs 24/7 doing various things and I need to be running at least Big Sur on a regular basis. Is there any chance there might a newer version of the serial driver V1.5 which would be more compatible with the newer MACOS versions?

Regards

I am a bit confused. I have never needed to install any “driver” on 2 Macs running Big Sur or Monterey. Have you tried running Lightburn without the FTDI drivers? Where do you see “serial ports?” About this Mac> system report?

After re-reading your post, I’ll back off any attempt to help. I see you are using a laser I know nothing about, and certainly there are people here who can help.

I see the FTDI drivers on Larger engravers with Ruida controllers but not so much on diode lasers.

I pulled the manual for the PerGear Laserstorm S10.

on page 19 of 96 it mentions the CH340 driver.

I suspect that the Big Sur and Monterey versions don’t ship with the CH340 driver but I’d start there.

V1.5 of the CH340 driver… not the FTDI driver… I understand now. You’ve already got the driver.

This is really interesting… I have asked the dev team about this. thanks!

Can you post a screenshot of the port connection drop down with the FTDI ports you are mentioning?

Also can you show your device settings for that device.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I can clear most of this up now. After having read the replies to the post, I suspected that I should have tried Lightburn first on Big Sur & Monterey without installing the CH340 driver. It is not needed for those versions of MacOS and if installed, symptoms like those I described will occur. I removed the CH340 driver and Lightburn runs fine. Thanks to everyone who replied

1 Like

Hi Joe

Despite my previous post saying all was well after uninstalling ch340 driver from Big Sur & Monterey, actually it turns out it’s not. I’ve definitely discovered a Lightburn bug (i’m trying out V1.2.04).

Here’s how to trigger it:

1. Another app must be using 1 or more FTDI serial ports for some other hardware. In my case the other app is the Indigo Home Automation package (a very mature product BTW).

2. The laser engraver (in my case a PerGear Laserstorm S10) must be powered down and Laserburn not yet launched.

3. Launch Lightburn. Since the laser is turned off, its serial port does not show up in LightBurn’s list of serial ports. Of course the FTDI ports DO show up in Lightburn’s pulldown menu and one of them is at the top of the list. Lightburn then attempts to find the laser on that first port in the list and interferes with communication between Indigo and its attached device.

Happens every time.

Hi again Joe

Happy to send screenshots but haven’t quite figured out how to insert a graphic on this msg board. (I’m new here)

drag and drop.

Thanks Mike

Nov 18, 2022 at 2:07:01 PM
Error unknown command bytes received E0 E0 (ignoring)
Error PowerLinc not responding – attempting reset
Power Failure possible power failure
Interface Failure lost connection with interface
Trigger Interface Failure
Error Action has not been completely configured
Trigger Power Failure
Error Action has not been completely configured
Connected to PowerLinc 2413U interface on port usbserial-AL02YCQJ
PowerLinc address 49.FA.06, firmware version 9.14

After quitting Lightburn, Indigo stops complaining and recovers its device.
Note that the laser is not showing up in Lightburn’s port list. Will send another port list screenshot after reboot

Here’s how it looks after reboot with both apps starting automatically (Lightburn launches quicker)

Hey @Jeff_B, you mention “Here’s how it looks after…”, yet there is no image uploaded or shown if that is what you intended. :wink:

No your board cut me off - too many submissions for a new user.
I will try to post that now

-5D10 is the correct port BTW

Ah yes, this can happen. Limits for new users to help prevent spam and such. I see your user level has changed to level one, which should open things up a bit more to help you with posting. :slight_smile:

Mine shows up as modem ports. Never had to install a driver and I’m running Monterey

1 Like

As others have stated, you don’t need to install a driver for a diode - you do for Windows. On the Mac, it will show as a Modem port. I’m surprised to see all those ports in your list. That looks like a Windows thing.