Making a pin hole

Currently, Lightburn does not support firing the laser without moving (i.e. make a pin hole). As a workaround you can make a very small circle (like 0.01 mm diameter) on a layer with a slow speed and high number of passes. The laser will functionally not move. You will have to play with the exact diameter of the circle, as once it is below a certain diameter Lightburn will ignore it.

I had seen questions about this on this forum before but didn’t see any answers.

Support! Sometimes i need drill micro holes, for this i need a dots tool.

You can also create a macro and send

M3 S1000
G1 F1000

This should fire the laser at 100% without movement. Turn off with
G0

Edit: maybe some more information: the value behind the S defines the power level. On most (grbl-) lasers the range is from 0-1000 (really old ones 0-255). So M3 S1000 is full power, whereas M3 S650 is 65%. So you can adjust to your needs.

3 Likes

For machines with a Ruida controller, Dot Mode does the trick:

Based on an earlier discussion:

Spoiler: you can punch a regular array of pinholes, but that’s the extent of the trick.

3 Likes

Adding to what you said. The below code fires the laser for 0.1 seconds and turns the laser off. G4 P100 means pause for 100 miliseconds.

M3 S1000
G1 F1000
G4 P100
G0

@ednisley good to know about the pinhole array.

1 Like

How big is the pinhole in the picture?

:smile_cat:

That’s the exit wound at 0.3 mm. The kerf in acrylic is about 0.2 mm, so it’s about as good as possible.

The entry wound is 0.5-ish mm, plus whatever you count for heat distortion around the hole:

The whole thing is 5 mm across, so the heat damage looks larger than it does in real life.

3 Likes