Making Inlay pockets?

I have a manufactures brass name plate that I wish to inlay into a piece of wood about 1 or 2 mm deep.
I need to cut a pocket for it.
It would be difficult to draw the outline.
Can the program or cut lines be made from a photograph.
I realize there will be the issue of getting the correct scale but can LightBurn software do this?

I think I have seen something like this using the lightburn camera add on.

I have done similar things to what you want in Autocad. Buy taking a photo as square to the object to be inlayed as possible then drawing around it in cad and scaling it to the size required. possibly could do the same in a photoshop or similar and save as SVG
You can then either scan/fill that area using the correct power/speed to go in the required depth or make a MDF cut out of the shape and use a router with a baring cutter to cut out the shape in the wood.

Hard to give really specific advice without knowing what the items look like but take a look at the Trace Image tool. This may be able to get you the outline that you need.

If the mfr has a pdf drawing, you can import that, separate the outline graphic (delete the rest of the text/graphics/etc), outsize is by about 1mm and use that for your pocket guide.

If you post the mfr & part number, one of us can do that for you.

I have inlayed all kinds of objects, but depending on depth …that is the tricky part. If I can get a PDF from the mfgr, that is then easy to scan with LightBurn. If not, I put the object in the scanner to get the outline, then feed that into LightBurn, and let it trace the result. I then use that to scan. I generally do NOT use any kerf, but I always try the scan on a scrap of the same wood, to get the depth right, and also, make sure the fit is correct. It is easier to do on my CNC, but I have done a lot of them like this process. My “worst case example” is a Venetian Mask that I inlayed into a pocket on one of my artistic boxes… that was fun, but the result was great.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.