Material for live hinge work

So, she wants a cook book with one of ‘those fancy slotted hing thingy’s’

I’ve gotten a good look at the patterns and such, but what material to make it out of? I work primarily with 3mm Premium MDF, and Epilog says they can be made from that, but what about the guys actually making them. I’ve also seen Basswod and a few other natural woods, along with Baltic Birch plywwod.

Suggestions? Things to look for or stay away from?

if these are the ones you are thinking of, I make them in all materials, Acrylic, MDF, HDF, Playwood … Except Acrylic, I give a little water or thin oil on the finished hinges, beeswax is also an option to keep the hinges flexible.

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s not all that difficult. Hunting to find out what you don’t have a clue about can be interesting and frustrating at the same time. I wouldn’t have thought it possible with acrylic.I have some 3mm Premium MDF so that will be my first attempt. It’s a LOT stiffer and more brittle that the big box junk, so it will be interesting.

We make quite a lot of Living Hinge stuff here. We use Baltic Birch Plywood for all of it. It’s a fairly flexible grain wood that’s durable. We’ve had very good luck with it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.