Material Test Origin

Currently the material test allows you to enter the center position for X and Y. I find this to be difficult to use when running multiple test grids of varying sizes on the same piece of material.

It would be so much more user friendly if you could set the X and Y origin instead of the center. I could jog the laser to the desired start point for the test. Find my position. Then enter those corrdinates as the test grid origin.

I’m going to bring this suggestion to my viewers and see if others have a better solution and/or get them to vote this idea up.

Thanks,
Hobo

1 Like

There is the Feature Suggestions where you can post a suggestion for this and the people can vote on it.

I haven’t looked to see if this suggestion or something similar is already there…

:smile_cat:

You can do this by selecting Current Position or User Origin as the Start From mode before entering the Material Test. To use User Origin, you’ll also need to set the origin, either in the Move window (for GCode devices) or using your laser’s controller (for DSP devices), before entering the Material Test.

With either of those modes selected, the X and Y Center fields will be grayed out in the Material Test, and output will be positioned relative to the selected Job Origin in the 9 dot selector in the Laser window, and the position of the laser (Current Position), or the user-defined origin (User Origin).

For anyone who is unfamiliar with the way those settings work, you can find more information here:

How is this handled with one of the dsp types that has no console? Such as a Polar?

Just curious…

:smile_cat:

I haven’t worked with the Polar or similar machines but my best guess is that there’s no way to set User Origin, but Current Position would work the same.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.