Material test pattern run just stops

• I set up the materials test with all default values.
  • I click run.
  • The laser etches the x-axis power percent values.
  • The laser etches the first three y-axis power values.
  • It stops after 4467. Just stops.
  • Clicking Frame or any other command in the material test dialog does nothing at the laser.
  • Back at the Laser window it shows the laser as “Busy”.
  • If I click the job stop button, it will do Frame and other commands again.

I have power cycled the laser, and everything seems fine but the same problem happens.
The laser has successfully etched a number of simple items and burned a few. Seems to work fine except this test.

Is this a problem with the Aufero hardware? How do I debug this?

Hardware: Ortur Aufero 1, Laser module LU2-4-SF
Host: macOS Monterey 12.6.6
LightBurn: 1.4.03

1 Like

Hi Alan - are there any notes in the Console of LightBurn that might give us an indication of what your laser is saying over the comms port LightBurn connects with? It’s on the right side of the screen typically, in a tab.

This is what the Console displays at the point of the hangup:

Aufero 1 S2 Ready!
OLF:OLF 187.
OLH:OLM_ESP_PRO_V1.2.
OLM:GENERAL.
Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]
ok
<Idle|MPos:7.700,30.325,0.000|Bf:35,7679|FS:0,0|Pn:P|CL:0,100|PS:2,1|VA:23213,0|Ov:100,100,100|A:S>
[GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 G49 G98 G50 M5 M9 T0 F0 S0.]
ok
<Idle|MPos:7.700,30.325,0.000|Bf:35,7679|FS:0,0|Pn:P|CL:0,100|PS:2,1>
ok
Starting stream
Stream completed in 0:04

Three attempts. One on top the other and one separated by moving the material.

If you try changing the output of the Material Test to be 5x5, not 10x10, what are the results?

you may also want to try saving the file to the SD card on the machine (if equipped) and running it directly from the controller.

Good suggestion.

It doesn’t even finish the first number on the y-axis. The “600” is not quite compete.

The Console from a power up and connection of the Auturo 1 is:

[ORIGIN: China]

[PRODUCER: ORTUR]
[AUTHOR: ORTUR]
[MODEL: Aufero 1 S2]
[OLF: 187]
[OLH: OLM_ESP_PRO_V1.2]
[SN: 6D5]
[OLM:GENERAL]
[DATE:17:11:17 - Dec 15 2021]
[VER:1.1f(ESP32).20210403:]
[OPT:VNMZHSL,35,7680,3]
Target buffer size found
ok
Homing
ok
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|Bf:35,7679|FS:0,0|Pn:P|CL:0,100|PS:2,1|VA:23240,0|Ov:100,100,100|A:S|H:1,7>
ok
Starting stream
Stream completed in 0:02
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|Bf:35,7679|FS:0,0|Pn:P|CL:0,100|PS:2,1|VA:23213,0|A:S>
[GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 G49 G98 G50 M5 M9 T0 F5994 S10.]
ok
Starting stream
Stream completed in 0:02
<Idle|MPos:0.000,0.000,0.000|Bf:35,7679|FS:0,0|Pn:P|CL:0,100|PS:2,1|VA:23227,1|A:S>
ok
Starting stream
Layer

This laser device does to have an SD card slot.

Thank you for your suggestions, @Colin!

Is there a way to get tech support for this issue or are these forums the only way to get support?

You can always email us at Support@LightBurnSoftware.com for the fastest, direct response. While we definitely assist on the forum, direct support is much quicker as your issue will be seen by a larger audience and directed to whom is most able to help.

Judging from your output, your laser is about 3 versions behind in the Firmware - firmware is the code that lives on your laser itself. They frequently get updated by the manufacturer to fix bugs and add features.

Your firmware is OLF187, vs OLF191 is the current version. Installing the latest firmware may help with your comms issue, if not at least improve your laser’s software stability.

https://ortur.tech/latest-firmware/

Find your laser and the instructions on the page above, and give updating the firmware a go. Let us know if you have any issues.

I will do the update as soon as the USB-C to USB-B cable arrives. I’ll report back here.

I got a brand new cable USB-C from the MacBook to USB-B on the Aufero Laser 1. I am following the update instructions from here: https://ortur.tech/documentation/al1/Firmware%20Update%20Intructions%20-%20Aufero%20Laser%201.pdf

On the top of Page 13, Step 5 is the operation to copy the .BIN file to the virtual drive presented by the Aufero. This step fail, causing the macOS Finder app to close and produce an error

“The operation can’t be completed because the device disappeared.”

The Aufero Laser 1 appears to turn off at that same moment, both LEDs turn off.

The laser appears to be working fine after turning it back on. LightBurn can talk to it. The console reports the previous firmware version so the update did, indeed, fail.

This forum is not an Ortur support service but, if anyone has experience with this update failure, please share.

I hate to say it but USB-C to USB-B cables are often seen as a problem area.

I had immediate success communicating with problematic laser controllers from a Macbook through a Thunderbolt USB Hub.

You may need a PC to recognize the Aufero controller as a USB Drive.

The update through an Apple USB adapter failed in the same way.

However on a whim I grabbed my MacBook Pro and the update worked the first time, even using the USB-C to USB-B cable! Hoo-ray!

I will now try the test pattern using the MacBook Pro.

1 Like

The test pattern did not work. This time it burns the top title of the pattern and stops.

I remember a video saying that the laser will stop if the frame is tilted or bumped. Could it be that this is happening as it moves rapidly to write the letters? How do I confirm or deny that aberrant movement is the reason for the stop?

The top title was first because the text settings for the test pattern were set to “Line.” I changed that setting to “Fill” and the pattern burn stops in the exact same place as described at the top of this thread. Sigh.

I submitted a support ticket with Ortur. I got an email response, confirming the ticket. It also included a fairly long description of changes in Ortur company leadership and that support is a voluntary thing. Doesn’t give me confidence the issue will be addressed by Ortur.

If anyone has further thoughts on getting the test pattern to work, please add them here.

The LightBurn Console window will show a cryptic GRBL error message indicating an emergency stop, perhaps `Error 3: Reset while in motion."

The all-too-common USB glitches and power problems, however, typically do not produce an error message, because the controller generally crashes and resets. You can diagnose those by noting that the Console window shows the same set of messages you see when you turn the laser controller on, because it’s doing the same hard reset after the glitch.

Note that all of those errors happen on the laser end of the connection and LightBurn on the PC can only report what it get from the USB driver, which is painfully uninformative.

Thanks for the tips about error evidence. Unfortunately I don’t see any error or reset evidence in the console. I even found the little switch “Show all” in the Console window. No errors or reset sequences show. The Aufero just stops all movement and the laser is shut off.

Thank you for the tips, @johnsmith34 . I am on step 4 already.

This can be caused by a small amount of data loss.

The other symptom is that there is no error message reported in the Console window at all, and the engraver reports that the communication stream completes.

Please open the Console window in LightBurn. Scroll back, select and copy some of that text and paste it into a reply here. It will help us understand what’s happening.

OK, I have good, bad news. It’s all working now. I set up to do a nice, clean run from power up and connection, with clear steps so I could get a good log of the console. And it just worked.

Yay! It works!
Darn it! Now I don’t know what fixed it!

I don’t know what more to say. I’ve burned the pattern three times. Power cycles and reconnecting USB between each. It’s working. :upside_down_face: :melting_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.