Material Test with Text output disabled?

With the artistic projects I enjoy making with my various lasers, I find myself using the Material Test quite extensively. For example, I just don’t seem to have any luck finding “typical” diode and CO2 settings for rough cut green bald cypress boards from my local supplier. :sweat_smile:

I may start with a very coarse search range, perhaps four steps spanning the full min/max range in speed and in power, and the results from that will then let me define what ranges in speed/power to use for additional Material Test runs to narrow in on the “best” settings to use for that laser and material. My one pain point is that every time I run a Material Test, I have to wait for all the text to burn, even when I’m only planning to immediately look at the results to refine my parameters for a subsequent Material Test.

If I were able to disable output in the Cut Settings Editor for the Edit Text Setting button, it would drastically speed up my material settings search workflow. When I’m doing a Material Test to dial in “Fill” settings, the time it takes to burn the text is significant. When I’m dialing in “Line” settings, on the other hand, burning the unnecessary text labels can take significantly longer then the time to burn the array of test boxes.

When I do my final Material Test run to add to my collection, having the text labels is wonderful, but if I had the option of disabling the output of the text labels while I’m working through the initial ballpark-hunting Material Test runs, it would remove a significant (but not important) bit of annoyance from my life.

1 Like

I’ve added this for the next update (1.5)

1 Like

I was about to make the same request, for a different reason. Then i found this thread. Thanks for adding it.
Though I thought I’d add some thoughts too. My reason is that I’ve been finding myself doing material tests on stock that’s too small to fit the text. Things like nametags and such. I’ll often be doing a 1 or 2 row test, and the text is just as big as the grid, leaving me little room for the actual test.
A secondary related feature request would be to be able to set the font and font size. This would allow you to select a single line font for the text and make it very small.
Another way to reduce the legend text size would be a way to reduce numbers. Do we really need to see all the zeros on mm/min 25000 could be 25k. I also don’t ever have a need for decimals on the power. It would be nice to reduce that display precision to make the test smaller.

You can use Line mode for the text and it will go a lot faster. Everything auto-scales because I didn’t want to make the test an overwhelming sea of options. If you make the swatches smaller, the text will shrink to match.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.