Material Tests - low variations, diode laser

Hi -

I am using version 1.4.05 and trying to run the material tests to get my settings dialed in. Sculpfun S9 diode laser.

I feel like I am chasing my tail so far- I just cant seem to get to a point where I am even close.

Can anyone with similar unit care to share upper and lower bounds for settings?

Do the material test settings over-ride the layer/cuts settings?
Which one of these is in effect for the tests?

Material is Black Anodized Aluminum sheet. Varying from 600-6000mm/min and 10-100% power. It is almost as if the power maxes out really early. Then the machine outruns the laser.

Here are the results I have so far-

I was expecting something more like this- granted the description is this is a galvo, but the concept should be similar, right?
MaterialTestSample

I tweaked my belts since taking the photos, the jitter is gone.

Any other suggestions?

Dennis

Lasering aluminum is much like slate. To get any kind of shading will have to use very minute changes in speed and power in a very small range.

If you have nothing selected in the workspace, the Cuts/Layers window is not used. The Material Test alone determines the Gcode sent to the laser.

Galvo is a different kind of machine that lases at different frequencies. The Diode cannot reproduce what he Galvo does. The only way to get various degrees of shading in a burn is to use dithering of some sort. A visible light diode laser performs very poorly on bare aluminum. Once you burn away the coating, that is what you have left.

Another way of saying what happens is that you burned through the anodize at lower power levels and increased power made no difference.

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughtful reply-

I edited my post to inlcude the images inline. Hopefully it is easier to see.
(Yes, the belts needed tweaking, I fixed that).

I understand that we have to experiement and adjust settings to tweak the output, but I feel like I am not even close enough for tweaking.

I was not sure if the Material Tests completely over-rode everthing or not. Its unclear from the documentation. Thanks for the clarification.

Comparing to galvo output: understanding that its a totally different machine and I should not expect the same quality of results, but won’t the wizard tests show a similar gradient of variation?

Anodize thickness and power levels: What should my expectations be for this?
Are we shooting for a varying gradient of half-tone accomplished by line width and spacing to created a density of clean/anodized regions?
Is it more of a scrubbing effect- cleaning off the anodizing?
This is my interval test for example-from0.04 to 0.20 the effect is very much apparent.

dp

I cannot help you here. Other than a couple of experiments, I do not do any laser work on anodized.

Think of as more like a machine gun effect. The laser vaporizes a spot, then moves on to the next. How much damage is done depends on the cumlative heat (power and speed). To vaporize more or less anodize coating would take some seriously fine control.

I think I read somewhere that you use image and not line on a rotary, where anodized mugs are popular. I do not know what your project looks like, but you might try using image thinking rather than filled lines.

By the way, in that galvo image, none of the squares match the surrounding black. What you see is what the galvo actually did to the aluminum.

I tried to make a design on small raw thin aluminum cards, after applying a black coating or masking with tape, and the results were a bit disappointing once I removed the coasting / tape. I think it partially marked the metal (I can see some bumps on the other side), and part of the contrast might come from remaining masking material…

I used only line mode, not even sure what the result can be in fill mode.
I finally left the coating on, the contrast was better.

As said, not sure variations of power can do much result with diode, dithering a picture might give better results. Of course, as always, experiments are the key.

I actually used fill for the background and the letters, with a trick: very wide line spacing, and cross-hatching for the letters.

Most reasonable expectation is to consider the coating removal binary (present or absent) with shading accomplished by using a halftone effect.

In theory, a true grayscale is possible but the finesse required is such that it’s not very practical or repeatable. The difference between “white” (bare aluminum) and 50% gray is measured in nanometers…or less…change in coating thickness.

Your interval tests show pretty much as expected.

Approx .1mm shows total removal of the coating. Closer than this (smaller interval) shows very little change because your beam is about .1mm wide…ie, at closer intervals, you’re lasing the same areas more than once and a diode laser can’t really damage bare aluminum other than warping it. Above .1mm interval you begin to see shading as a series of black and “white” stripes. The wider the spacing, the darker the shade.

Like this…

This was done with two layers (both vector) set to the same speed & power, but text @ .09 interval and leaf at .25 interval. It is intentionally subtle.

Thank You!
You have explained it very well. This is was I was thinking but poorly articulating.
dp

I don’t know if everything was clear now, I just wanted to mention that your first material tests look awful because the settings were far off. You tested 600-18,000 mm/min where the S9 is ony able to go at 6000mm/min maximum. And those 6000 are a theoretical maximum, the true maximum of the S9 frame is about 3000mm/min. So if you do a material test, stay below 3000 mm/min.

Maybe read here as well: Settings guide - Diode Laser Wiki

Interesting! You run some tests to get these numbers? I have no doubt they are accurate.

I have no scientific tests in this case :slight_smile: I used the S9 back in the days and this was my experience. And during the past three years of user support mainly on Facebook, I could prove that statement to be correct in most cases :slight_smile:

It doesn’t mean you can’t run it faster, but it needs careful tuning and a lot of experience to reach the top speeds with decent quality. 3000 mm/min is the average maximum speed of an average S9 :slight_smile:

Yeah, my S30 is rated for 6000mm/min, but I don’t expect to get that except maybe in a front to back run. Does not matter anyhow. That would be 3.8 seconds and I am not that good with a stopwatch. :joy:

The original scuplfun s6 and s9 machines had 8 bit controllers (mine too). Speed and quality is the issue- hence the tuning.

The newer ones are using 32bit controllers, so in theory, they should be able to do the calcs to position themselves faster than the 8bit.

Straight line speeds mean nothing, it’s all speed and acceleration that make the difference on arcs and circles for complex jobs.

I believe that the diode machines will be limited by the laser power, not the mechanical movement systems, but that is just conjecture at this point.

I just read a bit about a 7.5w output blue laser, so it appears they have not topped out yet. 7.5 x 4 = 30w light output. that takes it from 20w to a possible 30w now. Invest in heat sinks for the future!

True, but they are still using the same stepper motors, belts, and frames. Inertia is not something you can overcome with a faster computer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.