Merge overlapping fill shapes to become what's visible?

I wasn’t quite sure what to search for so forgive if this was asked before, but I have two fill objects that, when overlapping, create (mostly) the shape I want, but I want to be able to tweak some nodes and none of the booleans merge the two fill objects to create what’s visible.

Screenshot attached… the left and center object, overlapped, create the object on the right. I want just the four solid strips and not the outline. If I could merge/boolean the two to create one object that looks like the one on the right, I could edit the nodes and be good. There are other ways I can do it, but I was curious if there was a way to do this within Lightburn. Thanks!

Not sure what you mean. You want the one on the right without lines so edit out the lines. Am I not understanding?

Yeah. I can’t edit the one on the right when it’s two separate objects without editing the objects separately. I wanted to know if there was a way to merge the two objects into one, in Lightburn. The normal booleans don’t do it. I assume there isn’t and I’ll just do this another way, but thought I’d ask.

The final goal is unclear, but my understanding is that you want to get the four parts of the left combined with an outline of the central part. Is that right?
When you superpose two filled shapes, LB does an XOR of them. I think a boolean operation is still possible, I will try at home later.

Maybe convert to bitmap and then trace.

I do what you’re asking all the time. Node edit, break, delete segments, re-join. Lightburn doesn’t care that it’s two separate shapes. It’s just a big mess of nodes.

I think this is the way, sketch tracing the example image provided just doesn’t get all of the pieces!

Ah! I think we have a winner! With the two objects grouped, CONVERT TO BITMAP converted both, together, to bitmap. The TRACE turned it back to vector and with the threshold tweaked, I could eliminate a lot of the thinner lines I was going to remove anyway. Thanks Dskall!

Thanks to everyone who answered, of course. But this seems to be the quickest/easiest and requiring the least amount of cleanup after. Cheers!

Be sure to check out Optimize Selected Graphics as well once you’re done.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.