Microsoft vs Mac

I have both systems to chose from is one version more trouble free to operate then the other. So I can purchase the correct version of light burn.

The standard LightBurn License provides 2 seats, and we will even bump that to 3 when asked nicely, so you can install on both and try for yourself.

For Macs, communication over Ethernet is better than USB, but we are working on that as well. You have options. :wink:

Not publicly released just yet, but very soon-ish: LightBurn Bridge

1 Like

You all make mention of the Lightburn Bridge image file on the ‘Advanced Setup’ page. Where can this image be found?

I also mentioned the above. :slight_smile: This is currently undergoing internal testing.

Looks like this is the same idea as the Ruida RE-Wi-Fi

I purchased one of these and removed it again straight away because it just creates a separate Wi-Fi network between your computer and the controller. The ability to quickly open a browser for the internet is not possible without switching Wi-Fi networks. For a windows user pretty pointless.
On the other hand, if it maintains the connection to the router’s internet Wi-Fi connection I’ll be first in the queue for one (figuratively speaking of course).

No, it’s not the same. The LightBurn Bridge connects directly to your normal WiFi network. You only use its own network to configure it the first time and give it the SSID and password for your WifI. Your computer will still use its normal connection to the internet, no switching of WiFi required. (This methodology is very common for IoT WiFi connected devices)

The Bridge allows you to connect to your Ruida controller using your normal WIFI network. It’s also smarter than those AP mode connectors, because it’s specifically designed for this.

Ruida controllers use UDP messages, which are not guaranteed to be delivered, and the Ruida controller doesn’t provide a retry mechanism, so if a packet gets dropped due to interference, the job fails.

The LightBurn Bridge communicates with the laser using a network cable, so no interference is possible, and it talks to the host PC with TCP/IP, which does guarantee delivery, and automatically handles re-sending packets if something drops or gets corrupted.

I would be very surprised if the device you show above does anything like this.

Correct Oz, the RD-WiFi is literally an AP with it’s own SSID plugged into the controller network port. Then you connect to that so you disconnect from your own network and you get the wireless connection PC to controller, that’s it. No longer connected to your network hence no internet until you switch back. What a waste of money that was.
The Lightburn Bridge is sounding like what I thought I was buying. Brilliant. Can’t wait until launch. Hope it’s affordable to send to UK
Cheers.

If you want to set up your own, it’s just a Raspberry Pi 3b or better, and we’ll be providing the disk image free for personal use, and instructions for setting it up. If you have a Pi kicking around, or can get one, I’d love to have more testers kicking at it before we release it into the wild.

2 Likes

Any special requirements for the PI? Will a 3 B+ work? I have one laying around without a job. I would love to not have to plug the usb into my mac off and on and am fine testing.

A 3B+ is fine (and what we’re planning to ship with). You need a network cable and a 4GB or larger SD card, appropriate power supply, and our disk image.

Don’t have one right now but can get one next week. Quite happy to test.

How is the hardware Lightburn Bridge different than a VONETS VAP11G-300 WiFi Bridge Wireless Repeater? I have the Vonets connected to my Chinese blue/gray Ruida and it works fairly well.

Thank you everyone for the great information this forum has been a great help.

I’d like to give it a try

I explained the difference above:

LightBurn bridge only for Ruida? since I use trocen and it can connect via ethernet to my home wifi so I can control it via LightBurn

I’d also be interested in testing this

For the moment this is only for Ruida, basically to get around issues with MacOS’s USB driver not playing nice, but we’ll likely add support for other devices.

Hi Oz,
I have the Raspberry Pi 3b now, If you are still looking for testers I am more than happy to oblige.