Mirror 3 alignment

Looks like. Have fun!
Acrylic can be cut pretty fast, but the edge finish is best if you go kind of slow and don’t use too much air assist.
For my 80w co2 I cut .118" (3mm) at 65% max, 25% min, and maybe 14 - 20 mm/sec depending.

Uhhh… and acrylic is flammable. I have had minor fires flair up with the paper coating on cast acrylic and also with the acrylic itself. Never anything major. But I pay close attention and I keep a squirt bottle of water handy to extinguish “little stuff” and a 2-1/2 lb and a 8lb fire extinguisher pretty much in arms reach of either side of the machine. Never used the extinguishers. Have used the squirt bottle.

Hanks on… It’s the same stuff I posted previously, although different dimensions.

On my 50 watt ‘china blue’ I have 14mm/s @ 60% in my library for the 0.093 stuff I get locally. Draws 12 or 14ma. I usually engrave id information on the reverse side, such as date of compilation in lightburn. I also put other information on so when I look at it down the road, I’m not totally clueless. It seems to work pretty well removing the protective wrap on the ‘up’ side.

I lift my work off a steel plate ($12) on magnets, it allows air under the material and makes for easy cleanup. Mine came with a honeycomb. It’s laying against my toolbox, don’t use it and can’t bring myself to pitch it. :frowning:

I have a CO2 extinguisher. Since there are a lot of mechanical parts, dry extinguishers are not recommended.

Ok…finally have some time to mess with the laser today.

Said a prayer before I started…lol…but seriously…I did!

I looked at the laser head and made sure it was square. It was on the side…but not in front.

So I made the adjustments…

Then I used the file Jack posted of the beam checker and cut it out of the acrylic I bought. (THANKS JACK!)

And thats where I’m at so far…

I really appreciate all the help! It cut acrylic like butter!!! Really happy with the cut!

1 Like

This is my 3 mirror after a pulse in all 4 corners.

I still need help figuring out what to do.

Also…when I go to far left or far right…or far top or far bottom…it makes a horrible noise like belt is slipping…but everythingis tight as far as I can tell.
I’m trying not to give up…but this is so discouraging!

It shouldn’t be making noises at the extremes of the axes. I changed a couple parts and I have extended my bed size to 511x344mm, no noise at the limits.

Keep in mind that the acceleration values in the controller not being correct can cause this. This is the area it’s slowing to a stop, reversing direction and accelerating back up to speed. This is where the acceleration and deceleration is applied.

If you don’t have to reset the controller to continue and everything lines up after the noise, it’s not slipping or stepping incorrectly. If it jumps a tooth or there is stepper motor problems, these usually case the controller to loose track of the location, requiring a reset.

Might want to double check those values. I don’t remember, but think it was around 8,000mm/s/s. It won’t hurt to go slower and may be a good way to check if that’s the issue. The job will run slower and the possibility that it will get an out of bounds error if you’re near the machine limiits.

When I check beam alignment, I only check at minimum beam distance and maximum beam difference. So on most of these that the beam comes out the rear left, only need to check at the rear left, shortest beam path, and front right, longest beam path.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Turning the machine off and back on solved the noise issue…dunno what that was about!

That’s questionable :dizzy_face: That’s more indicative to it’s losing it’s place. Again, it could be an acceleration setting.

The ‘beam checker’ came from Russ Sadler… :slight_smile:

If you like the honeycomb bed, you should watch Russ’ video Honeycomb Alert

Take care :slight_smile:

The beam noise issue was due to not having the origin the top left corner, I forget all the time switching from the rotary to regular and if I don’t remember to put the origin back to “absolute” I get that

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.