Miss match in cutting lines

Hi guys, i am having an issue when i cut multiples of a project.
it engraves in the right place but then cuts off of where it should .

any ideas would be appreciated .

many thanks

Luke

Can you upload the file?
Looks like it lost position when it jumped to the cut.
Have you only tried one time?
The clear material (whatever it is) can get expensive real quick.
Try again with some cardstock but maybe only process a few random fishes for a quicker test.

fish.lbrn2 (712.3 KB)
Hi Steven, is seems that every time i cut multiples or an array of an object this happens .
the clear acrylic is actually free as its old covid screens i made during the pandemic ,so all good .

i just cant figure what’s happening ,it doesn’t happen on single parts .

any ideas welcome thanks

Hi Luke,

From looking at your pictures and what you’ve said about only seeing this when cutting multiple parts, I think Steven’s right about your laser losing position when it travels between cuts.

This is probably a mechanical issue - in particular, I’d recommend checking your belt tension. We have some more information on troubleshooting mechanical issues in our docs: Troubleshooting: Mechanical Issues - LightBurn Documentation.

A little more explanation:

What’s most likely happening is that each time your laser jumps from one fish to the next, it’s not traveling quite the right amount. Mechanical problems like loose belts might be causing the laser to lose a tiny bit of distance each time it travels a large distance, especially if it’s moving rapidly (as it would between cuts).

If you’re cutting a single object, the tiny difference between the distance your laser expected to travel and the distance it actually traveled is often too small to be noticeable, which is why you aren’t seeing problems when you cut single parts. When you cut more objects, each jump adds a little more to the difference between the expected distance and the actual distance and the error becomes much more visible.

The shift between layer 1 (the fin and face) and layer 2 (the cutout) in your project is actually a great example of this. If you take a look at fish 26, the two layers appear to be lined up correctly (or very close to it). There’s a tiny gap between the two on #21, a little more on #16, and that shift increases in a pretty consistent pattern as you go from bottom left to top right.

Hopefully that helps.
Jackie

2 Likes

thanks guys , i will take a look at that .

cheers
Luke

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.