Mm/min settings

I viewed the lightburn tutorial where demonstrator set mm/min at 70 and power at 10% to engrave a photo. This is equivalent to 4200mm/min which is the setting (mm/min) lightburn recommends for diode lasers. Can this be right???

sorry but i don’t understand your question… how can 70mm/min be equivalent to 4200mm/min?

70 x 60 = 4200

Both values are mm/min, so there is no conversion… I think is what @killrob is advising.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

i knew that and mm/min is not the only variable to consider but the value is the same

I am new to this so I am probably reading things wrong. I assumed that mm/min stood for millimeters per minute so 70/min would take any engraving hours to complete. Sorry for appearing to be obtuse but like I said, I am new to this all.

“mm/m” is indeed millimeters per minute. 70 mm/m would be a very slow engraving speed though but depends on material.

Multi-hour engravings are commonplace, even at faster settings.

Are you just generally incredulous about job durations? Long burns are not at all abnormal. Given you identify the correct settings for a given material and desired effect, it’s mostly just extrapolation from speed how long the burn will take. As long as the values in Edit->Device Settings->Additional Settings are correct the Preview window should give you a fairly good approximation of expected job duration.

image The attached photo is the one used in the tutorial. An engraving approx 7 1/2" square at a setting of 70/min appears to take about 53 hours to complete. I am either doing something terribly wrong or else I am terribly impatient.

Is 70 mm/m the appropriate speed for a photo engraving? That seems excessively slow. Looks like you have a diode laser that’s a claimed 40W which I’m assuming is closer to 6-7W optical output. You should be able to go significantly faster than 70 mm/m. I’m not familiar with your specific laser but I’d assume you should be able to get reasonable burns in the 5,000 mm/m range.

1 Like

I will give it a try. Your advice is much appreciated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.