Motorcycle Speedo

Just finished making a new speedo for my Motorcycle. Designed in Lightburn. It was originally going to be 3D printed, but that didn’t go too well.

11 Likes

Nicely done!

Wow - I’ve been thinking about a similar problem - how to get nice curves along the “z” dimension. I thought of a similar solution (cutting multiple layers and stacking), but it felt like a lot of material waste. It looks like you still have plenty of material from the insides - you could make lots of small badges and stuff out of them, which is cool.
I guess if you made them ‘concave’ - meaning, like, you slice each layer in half and cut two halves per layer, you could nest them inside each other in the layout and use a lot less material, if you wanted.

Cool design - really really nice!

I was thinking of a different speedo. Glad it was this! (Although I was interested to see how you would have used the laser for that…ha ha.) Nice work!

Cool!
I am curious why you didn’t use Acrylic for the layers.

I did think about acrylic, but this is more of a protype so maybe I will look at that for the finished article, but I would prefer a 3D printed version if possible.

A smart result and a clever approach to creating the finished article.
Filed in my head for future ref!
-A

I take it you used an old cell phone for the speedometer, GPS enabled?

No it’s a £20.00 digital speedo off amazon, the display is quite poor quality though. I’ve ordered a couple of diiferent units to see if I can get a better and easier to read display.

Hehe ok, it looks like a cell phone. There are really good speedometer apps that are GPS enabled for android or apple.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve looked at a few apps, but I doubt if theres a way for the phone to automatically switch on when its powered up by the bike and go into speedo mode, not that I’ve looked.

Wow, insane, love the creativity!