Movement of module to Home Position

I had a experience with my Master LM2 laser today. I was engraving and cutting a design 10inch x 10 inch on birch plywood. Nearing the completion of the cutting at the top left of the design the laser module stopped moving and the laser beam kept cutting. I immediately hit the reset button to stop the laser. I then hit the reset button and then the homing icon to home the laser… Instead of going to the home position it started to follow the last design outline it was cutting but the laser beam did not come on and ended up in line with the top of the design against the extreme left with the out of bounds alarm coming on where I once again pressed the reset button. I tried this several times and each time it did the same thing. I then checked all connections to make sure they were properly connected. I tried to home the laser manually with the power turned “off” but it would only go as far as the bottom of the last design I was cutting. It moved freely upward but would not move down beyond the same coordinate as the bottom of the last design. The laser moved across freely. My laser is in a non heated shop and the temperature does on occasion go below 0 celsius.

I would look for an obstruction impeding the Y axis.

seems to me like something is wrong with your motherboard or power adapter
Unplug your laser head, test the frame on its own
It MUST home correctly

Also recheck each wiring point

I have checked for any obstruction of the both axis. Nothing obstructing.

If you can’t move it with power off, then something mechanical is wrong.

I can move it upward and across but not downward passed the last design…

Try uplug the Y cable from Y motor
Will gantry now move correctly

if there is something stopping the gantry from moving after a given point, is mechanical then and you need to do a close inspection

I’ve uplugged all cables and the granty moves freely on both axis. Checking the circuitry. Will let you know what I find. If no problem with circuitry then it is the board.

While checking the circuitry I located four wires severed in the same location.I had them soldered and shielded and the gantry is homing properly with the laser not connected to the computer. It is a mystery why the wires were severed particularly where the laser module ceased to move but the beam kept firing. Could have been stress on the cables. It was two wires on one cable and two wires on the other cable.

Sounds like a reason gantry wouldn’t move past a certain point.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.